Is college worth it?

by NewYork44M 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

Yes it is worth it. What path you choose is critical though. As someone who has recently gone back to finish a Bachelors degree and begin a Masters, I've changed my view on the education system in America, and the importance of a "brand name" Bachelors. That is where they get you. It doesn't make sense to go into massive debt for a Bachelors degree. There are enough quality online Masters programs available that simply require a regionally accredited degree with a decent GPA. It many (most) cases to enroll and be admitted to a Masters, it doesn't matter if your Bachelors is from a state school, a tier 1, or tier 4.

The Masters degree program at Harvard Extension school is completely open. http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/programs/ If you can take and pass three courses, you are in. There are 100's of quality online Graduate programs available, many from top 100 schools.

For those who have to go the traditional route, going to community college, then a state school makes sense. For myself, taking my 60 credits from 30 years ago, supplementing them with CLEP's, DSST's, Excelsior exams and Thomas Edison TECEP's http://www.tesc.edu/index.php made the most sense. I earned 72 credits via testing in a little less than 6 months, earned the regionally accredited bachelors and am now enrolled in a Masters program.

My two sons are about to go a similar route. They both have two years of community college experience. They both have good full time jobs. They will both earn the remaining 60 credits for their Bachelors by taking a few online courses and testing out of remaining credits. Total cost of the last two years of college for each of them will be under $4500.

I say bang out the Bachelors quickly and inexpensively, then concentrate on a Masters. There are 100's of quality online Graduate programs available, many from top 100 schools. http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/ or if you are financially challenged and just want a regionally accredited interdisciplinary Masters, you can still do that for under $5500 here http://www.wnmu.edu/VirtualCampus/index.html

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

There are no guarantees in life, but you are in a better position if you get as much education as you can stand and afford.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I've am attending my first semester of college. I'm 37 and going back. So far, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. The boost to my self confidence is worth the price in and of itself. The discussions are intellectually stimulating and the discipline of meeting assignment deadlines is great for me. Personally, I chose the traditional campus style education. That's because I know I've not been all that disciplined and need the structure of actually attending a real class. I fear that online classes would be procrastinated into a waste of money. I plan to see this through to a Bachelor's degree, but there's also a Masters course available in my chosen field.

I think everyone should at least try college. Some may not like it and I know that formal education is only a part of the recipie for success...but college is a key that opens doors that, otherwise would remain locked.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It's one of the best things I ever decided to do. I,too went back as an adult and I think it's a whole different mindset than a 17 year old has. Because of life experience I was fascinated with all the things I didn't know instead of "why do we have to learn all this?" It has opened up so many new job opportunities for me. I think because both of our children saw my husband and I go back to school as adults, they will appreciate it too.

• mac n cheese
    mac n cheese

It was for me.

I started of by taking classes at community college, working on my general education and to see how I could handle it all. I was doing this while working and pioneering. Eventually, I transfered to a 4-year college and finished my education in a professional field. It took me more than a decade, but I persisted and now I have an excellent job, fantastic pay and most of all, I don't get frustrated and bored at work anymore. Because it took me so long, I managed to pay cash for tuition and for books, so, no student loans.

I'm trying to figure out how to go back and get my master's; it's like I'm addicted to school and I can't stop.

I also agree that going to school when you have some life experience under your belt makes all the difference in the world. In my case, the older I got, the more I enjoyed the whole process.

But not everyone learns in an academic environment, so I don't think it's for everyone.

I'm so glad I listened to myself and finally ignored my mother's and the WT's "advice" to only pioneer. Screw that. I got more analytical training and enjoyment from one basic English class than I did my whole life, reading just the Awake! magazine.

- mac

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I attend college even as an active witness. I strongly believe in education. The success that I have attained, I attribute to education.

• Aculama
    Aculama

My dad had a stroke shortly after I started college and I quit to help out. I never ended up going back and I've regreted it ever since. It may seem like a bunch of crap sometimes and they are as bad as a religion for indoctrination. The only thing is this, if you get that sheepskin you will have lots of choices, if you don't you have to take whatever crappy job that comes down the pike. I know there are a lot of self made people out there but if you don't have a degree you'll sweat and bleed more to reach your goals.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I have about 2 more years (part time) to go before I will have earned enough credit to get a bachelors degree.

I think college can be great if you can get into the right school. I have only been able to take classes from a community college and a local business college, and I have found the quality of instruction at both places, especially the community college, to vary between acceptable and abysmal.

• chickpea
    chickpea

any kind of post-secondary education
    or training is worth the time/effort/expense
    IF you make a commitment to the process....

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I read the article and it did make valid points about the cost of many universities, they are expensive. But I think the real question that needs to be focused on is whether or not a expensive university is worth the price over a less expensive university. In that case, it is harder to justify a high price tag. I personally don't subscribe to the idea that a higher priced university will necessarily provide you with a comparatively better education.
    <br><br>For those who appreciate higher learning, college it is definitely worth the time and expense. A good university (whether expensive or inexpensive) can be transforming. If you can afford a high priced educational school, great. If not, then go to a inexpensive one.
    <br><br>thecarpenter of the university class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit