Are there any religions that worship God but do not believe in an Afterlife

by jwfacts 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I'll second jgnat's thoughts. I too fall along the lines of a Christian Skeptic, much for the reasons she outlined. I think there are many out there like this, young and old alike.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't really like the word worship. I don't think it's healthy in today's definition.

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, belief in life after death is not a general Jewish tradition. I went to a Jewish funeral last year and the Cantor who spoke at the service talked about his dear friend being in heaven now. That comment defintely made people uncomfortable.

• oompa
    oompa

religion is a snare and a racket....best jw quote ever...but dont know if i spelled racket right ....could be a qu thing..........oompa

• White Dove
    White Dove

Sad, you see...

Whatever happened to them, anyway?

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

There's those in the majority, that worship Mammon:

Mammon

BA- But remember, you can not serve God and Mammon. You must choose one or the other. God promises life everlasting, whil Mammon promises lots of stuff you can't take with you. Choose wisely.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I don't think it's healthy in today's definition.

I glory in the beauty of words. Just because modern society has absconded with great words like "gay", doesn't mean I can't wrestle them back to original usage. I like the phrase, "civil servant" for instance, but it is now passe'. Nobody wants to servile any longer. Come to think of it, civility has gone the way of the dodo bird, too. I am now a Public Employee. Lovely.

I say, long live civility.

• Slappy
    Slappy

What did Christ say to the thief on the cross? "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." Luke 23:38 If I believe in God, why would I doubt Him in some regards and believe Him in others?

Every believer that I have ever had the joy of meeting acts in a way that is right and true because their God and Savior desires it. The 'afterlife' has never been a driving force to behave in such a manner. We view God as our Father, among many other things, and as any child that loves his parents, we want to make Him happy. Do children obey their parents because they have this threat of doom hanging over them? NO! That would be 'ruling' through fear. Parents love their children, and the children, being loved, will return that love. The best way to return that love is by obeying one's parents. This is because any true parent knows what is best for his/her children and will desire those things for their children. So, when the child obeys his/her parents, it gives the parent joy because they know that their child is growing up in a way that is right and will be beneficial to that child and so many others. And the child, knowing that obedience will bring joy to the parent, will be obedient because he/she loves his/her parents and wants to bring joy into their life. Not once has a bribe/goad entered the equation; because where the love is real and true, there is no need.

Heaven is not a 'bribe, and Hell is not a 'goad'. They are more like 'facts' than anything. If a child is obedient to his/her parents and holds to those things that were taught by the parents, their life will be full and happy. However, if that child does not obey his/her parents and strays from the teachings of his/her parents then that life will be one of much suffering. Heaven and Hell operate in exactly the same way.

Btw, it's awfully weird how there are so many different religions in the world, and yet they share similar traits: God(s) and an afterlife. It's almost like they had to have a single common source huh? I wonder what person(s) came up with the idea of a God(s) and an afterlife. Of course, if we take the words from one who was wiser than any of us can ever hope to be: "That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which it may be said, 'See, this is new'? It has already been in ancient times before us." Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 Then it appears that man is unable to come up with such an idea on his own. He must draw on his surroundings to come up with such an idea. Afterall, where would Darwin be if he didn't have his environment from which to draw conclusions?

Brother Apostate...your post is sooooo true.

I think another poster mentioned Universalism. It meets 'mammons' feel-good desires without compromising anything. It was formed out of the fabric of man's own desires and needs and not much else. But because it is made to specifically meet those 'needs' that man feels today, it is gaining in popularity as it allows man to feel good about himself/herself without giving much thought to God and worrying whether or not they can make it to heaven. Now man can have a sense of 'spirituality' in which to 'fill' that part of him that has always been empty. That's always been man's answer; if he doesn't like the solutions at hand, then he'll just make a new one.

Anyway, far be it that I should critique something that makes so many others feel good about themselves. I've got to go purchase more Meth for my little cousin anyway; afterall, he has the same right as everybody else to feel good, no matter his methods.

slappy

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I'm not sure this actually addressed my question FHN:

We pay the consequences for bad decisions, those of our own and of others, right here on earth.

Not everyone does. Some very sadistic people get to live out their lives the way they want to and then die. No "consequences" while alive. Even if what you say is true, does this mean (as I asked before) that they will receive a good reward after death?

I have read some interesting books about people going into debriefing and rehabilitation upon death. And some have to work things out through community type service.

Not sure what that means.

But in Universalism, all intelligent creatures will eventually be drawn back to good and love, they won't be able to resist it forever.

Drawn back to good before or after death? I hope you don't mean before death. Some people do vile things their whole lives and then die. Everyone does not die "good".

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

jgnat-

I am a Christian to be closer to divine, now, rather than live by base instinct.

You didn't say this but I must ask, do you think that those us of who have noe drawn closer to divine only live by "base instinct[s]"? I certainly hope not. We have the same full range of emotion just like you. There is much more to life that these base instincts even if we are heathens .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit