Are there any religions that worship God but do not believe in an Afterlife

by jwfacts 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It seems that people only worship God for the reward of a resurrection. People normally do not admit that, and say that even if there was no resurrection they would worship God for the life that he has given them. A good indication of whether this could be true is if religions existed that worshipped God but do not believe in a soul or resurrection or everlasting life. As far as I know there are none.

Is anyone aware of religions that worship God but believe this life is all there is?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I recently attended a Jewish funeral. The rabbi specifically stated that they do not know the condition of the dead person or what his future would be.

Coming from an evangelical background, I was not expecting this. Baptist ministers spend lots of time talking about how the dead loved one is now 'strolling hand-in-hand with Jesus', etc.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

After life is not a reward from God. It's something we all deserve after being put here on earth at great disadvantage. Don't you think? I don't think you need to earn it. It's automatic. And God doesn't need anything from you.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

God doesn't need for us to serve him. He's got everything he needs. We should be good to each other and the earth because we want to be, not for some reward. I feel a lot more moved to do the right things because of love than I would if I were trying to get something for it.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    It's something we all deserve after being put here on earth at great disadvantage.

Agreed. It is particularly illogical for any Christian religion to say that all those billions that have never heard of Jesus deserve destruction. You would have liked the religion Russell started prior to the bastardization by Rutherford, as Russell taught that virtually everyone will get a resurrection or survive Armageddon, and then in perfection choose whether or not to serve God.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

If this life was all there is, then why would you waste your time on a religion that gives no hope for the future?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It seems that people only worship God for the reward of a resurrection.

Which people? Honestly I don't think much about the afterlife. I think we all go on after we die, it is what we are, whether we believe or not.

BTS

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I don't believe in God or an afterlife, BUT if there is one, I hope this philosophy is correct:

After life is not a reward from God. It's something we all deserve after being put here on earth at great disadvantage. Don't you think? I don't think you need to earn it. It's automatic. And God doesn't need anything from you.

Still I wonder: Do you believe that even the "bad" (murderers, rapists, etc) people get the same good outcome?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    why would you waste your time on a religion that gives no hope for the future?

Good question, yet I often hear religious people say they only worship God out of love for him, not for any reward.

Maybe one other reason a person may worship God is because they believe he will answer their prayers, and so help get through this life.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    It seems that people only worship God for the reward of a resurrection.

Which people?

Everyone. I have never met a worshipper that does not believe in a resurrection, and by your comment yourself included.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit