Where would you relocate in Texas and why?

by White Dove 38 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I just listened to the song again. It's amazing how it gives the feeling of the vastness of the West Texas desert plains and of the oilfields. Hey, this could be about Wichita County Texas.

• uninformed
    uninformed

I am a Texas EXPERT.

I lived in the Tyler area, Luling, San Marcos, Austin, Buda.

The BEST place to live along the I-35 corridor is New Braunfels. There are two clear, cold rivers that flow throught town, the Comal and the Guadalupe.

San Marcos would be the second best, along the I-35 corridor. The I-35 corridor is really crowded. My only real objection.

I also love Junction, which is in west Texas, as well as Del Rio. Both towns have rivers, but both are pretty remote. One little sleepy town that I really liked was Uvalde! Beautiful little place, very close to Garner State Park and the Rio Frio.

My single favorite "spot" in Texas is probably the campground at Garner State Park.

Uvalde is about 60 minutes west of San Antonio.

Kerrville is another nice town, along with Fredricksburg.

Dallas is not a very nice place to live, in my opinion. Too many people, too crowded.

East Texas is too humid.

The Valley (Brownsville, etc.) is pretty humid too.

Houston is the place they would stick it in, if the world needed an enema.

For what its worth.

Brant

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"I don't want to live in a place that gets cooler than 60 F. in winter."

Yikes! 60 degrees? About the only place here in Texas where that may apply is down in the valley... Brownsville area.

Lots of palm trees... the Rio Grande... and the Gulf Coast... oh, and Mexico right across the border. You'd probably get to use your Homeland Security training down there, too.

If I recall correctly - this area is where they grow a lot of citrus - so it doesn't get very cold there... or when it does, they lose crops.

Good Luck with your decision-making - and welcome to Texas.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

First of all you need to buy alot of guns to protect yourself......from everyone else who has guns.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Also get a 10 gallon hat and learn to speak Texan "Yeeee haaaa."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I know you meant that tongue in cheek Witness007.

Get used to seeing people in cowboy boots in a bigger percentage than almost anywhere else though. Where I live, it's rare to see western boots and hats.

Big Spring is a nice town. It's in the mountains in west Texas. There was a gifter masseur there named Brother Gamboa. He's probably very old by now. But we all used to make the trek to see him. He was worth the travel.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I have to tell this one... this morning, I was relating to my wife the messages going on - in this thread.

My wife - has never been a JW - although she 'studied' with a JW many years ago in Kansas - and attended a few meetings - so she knows what JWs are all about. (She just never drank the kool-aid)

Anyway... she sez... "sounds like she has seen too many 'paradise' drawings... and is wanting something like that" - which I thought was funny. Palm trees... 60-degree weather... people all smiling... hahahahahaha too funny!!!

Regards,

Jim TX

• White Dove
    White Dove

Sun, palms, beaches, and not much lower than 60 F in winter doesn't exist?

People smiling sure wasn't in the list. I've seen too much to know better than to expect much of that.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I didn't mean doesn't get below 60 F at night in winter.

I meant during the daytime in winter, the averages.

The Weather Channel site has the average in winter during the day at 65 F in winter.

I don't care what the temp is when I'm sleeping.

By the way, my family came from the southwest.

Grampa wears cowboy boots and hat No ten gallon type. He wears the classic kind with the pinched top.

Gramma buys pearl button down shirts for the guys.

Her father was a rancher/cowboy. It a very hard job. There is a picture of him a-top his horse hearding long-horns.

I love the western styles and the food!

• Aculama
    Aculama

Lonesome Dove.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit