Where would you relocate in Texas and why?

by White Dove 38 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Amarillo is nice enough but it has lots of cattle lots. When the wind blows a certain way the entire town smells like a cow's ass. Friendliest people I've ever met though.

Dallas/Ft. Worth is one big concrete jungle with hardly any greenery. If you had to choose between the two, Ft. Worth has the better downtown.

All the large Texas cities have bad air problems in the summer. When the air doesn't move the air quality is bad enough to give you a headache and make your stomach feel slightly upset.

Housing is cheap here compared to other U.S. states. You can get a decent three bedroom home for 130k here.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

To add a bit to this, I told my wife about this question... and we both agreed. It depends on what you are wanting to do - career-wise.

San Antonio has lots and lots of hospitals - so the medical field is a good field for employment. So is entertainment (Fiesta Texas and Sea World).

Houston - used to be known for oil field work (lots of refineries there), as well as NASA (rocket scientists - grin).

Austin - used to be a high-tech city. TI, AMD, Motorola, etc. Big players there. It's dwindled down a bit - but is still semi-high-tech. I like to meet folks up there when I go visit the local electronics reps.

Dallas - also high-tech - and growing. North - if I recall correctly. Lots of small suburbs.

Again - it depends on what sort of employment you're looking into - unless you're just looking for waitress-type of work - that's avaliable in almost any city.

Cost of living is also a factor. San Antonio isn't too bad... but this city also pays less than other cities - like Dallas.

If your choice for moving hinges on whether the bugs are bigger further South in Texas... well... everything's bigger in Texas. My wife (an ex-Missourian) sez that.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I love the heat, humidity, palm trees, and the ocean.

This is the first time I've heard of anyone liking humidity. The palm trees and ocean sound nice though.

W

• White Dove
    White Dove

Loooove the heat and humidity, ocean, palms, and will have a masters degree in the criminal justice administration/Homeland Security field.

I don't want to live in a place that gets cooler than 60 F. in winter.

I guess Houston, being the 4th largest in the US, would be the best match.

I'm checking out educational and income level averages for Houston.

There are so many zips that It'll take a while.

You know zipskinny.com? It compares different zips to each other.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If you want to stay warmer than 60, pick something way south of Dallas area.

I lived in Amarillo for three years - coldest damned winters I can recall at times [the wind blows constantly bringing the windchill down]. And that is saying a lot, since I have lived previously and currently in the Great Lakes area, where we can see -20F sometimes in winter.

Sounds like Corpus or Galveston would be your ticket. If you like it drier, perhaps El Paso. No ocean there, but just up the road is some fine snow-skiing, hiking, and some of the most fabulous scenery in the world. Never a hurricane either.

Jeff

• yknot
    yknot

Texas coastal cities dip below 60 but on average not below 50.

With your education background you should stick to the ports (Houston & Corpus "area" ).

Austin (average winter 40'-50's) however is the capitol. So there are more state and federal administrative jobs.

Of course being a border state job opportunities should exist all the way to El Paso.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Austin - great art scene.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't want to live in a place that gets cooler than 60 F. in winter.

I guess Houston, being the 4th largest in the US, would be the best match.

Houston does get below 60. I lived there two years. It gets to freezing and below during the winter.

If you want 60 you need to go to Chorpus Christi or Brownsville.

Hawaii, I lived there and during the winter it did not get below 62. Southern Arizona has nice warm winters as does San Diego, CA.

PS: I didn't smell any odor in Chorpus, but it was April and that was in 1979.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I'd go to Luckenbach, Texas so I could get back to the basics of love...and feel no pain.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

White Dove, my former husband used to work in the West Texas oil fields on the pump jacks. He was an electrician -trouble shooter and there were times that he also worked on the power lines near the wells. We used to ride out in the vast oil fields with him in his work truck and help him pull wire.

This song always reminds me of the way it felt to live in West Texas, Texas oil country. This song is probably about Wichita, KS, but if you want to know what it's like in West Texas, this song will give you the sensation of the ease and and atmosphere. Very beautiful. When I hear it, it instantly transports me to Andrews and Andrews County Texas, in the southern part of the panhandle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d8cHq7td5Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit