Well, now I've seen it all !

by hubert 18 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

For over 40 years I've seen and heard of "false bottoms" on beer glasses. In case some of you don't know what that means, it's the heavy concave bottom of a beer glass you find in restaurants and bars that make you "think" you have more beer than you actually have in the glass.

So, last night, the wife and I drive to the local "Applebee's" restaurant for dinner. I order a fish and chip, (batter-fried fish and french fries) and a large beer. Of course, the beer came in a glass with the typical "false bottom", and it was so heavy, I seriously had a difficult time holding the glass to my lips, and it was my first beer of the evening, too.

So, we get our dinner, and there was this decent size piece of fish, and a "plateful" of french fries. As I started eating the fries, I noticed there were not as many in the plate as it seemed. That's when I noticed that the plate had a "false bottom" concept, also. The french fries were placed evenly all over the plate, but there was only one layer, instead of a "heaping pile" as they would have you think..

So, I guess Applebee's owners must think the general public must be pretty darn stupid not to notice we are being deceived by this trick.

What will they think of next. Oh, by the way, I won't be back.

Hubert

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I would have asked for more fries

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Restaurants and Bars glasses can be heavier and thicker on the bottom than usual for the reason of accidental spillage and for strength

for they are in constant use day in and day out, they are designed that way.

Never heard of that fries trick, though

Hey, I have a policy if your not receiving a decent value for what your laying your money down in a restaurant , don't return.....and pass the word around

• Satanus
    Satanus

Stick w macdonalds fries. They come in a thin card board container, so far;)

S

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We love their salads, and they are the only reason we go there. The last two times we have gone the salads shrank, smaller each time! The last time had hardly lettuce on it even. Just shredded cabbage, chicken and chow mein noodles. We told the manager, and he had a PLATE of plain lettuce brought to our table. No replacement salads, we had to make our own. And he had such a poor attitude, my inlaws nearly took off his head!

I won't go back there either. I'll figure out how to make it mayself.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I really doubt they are playing these sorts of games. If they were, their attempt would be doomed to backfire, as your reaction to your own suspicion confirms. I go to Applebees from time to time, and their beers are sold in two sizes, with the amount in ounces clearly stated. My experiences there have been uniformly good. Personally, I like thick bottoms, just not false ones.

BTS

• undercover
    undercover

Well, admit it...you went to Applebee's...surely you weren't expecting a 4 star dining experience?

• beksbks
    beksbks

Momz, I noticed that about the salad too. I go to Applebee's about once a month, and I always have that apple walnut salad. I was there last week, and it was noticeably smaller. If anyone has purchased ice cream in the last couple of months, it's the same thing. It has a little lip on the bottom.

Hmmm no lips on bottoms jokes people!

• hubert
    hubert
    I would have asked for more fries

Fortunately, my wife couldn't eat all her meal, (doesn't eat much) so I finished hers for her.

Otherwise, I'd be across the street at Macdonald's for a big mac afterwards.

Not even a one star restaurant in my book.

Hubert

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Hmmm no lips on bottoms jokes people!

Well, will all these stealth serving resizings, the food and bev industry is basically telling us to kiss their asses.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit