San Antonio Makes History!

by yknot 11 Replies latest social current

• yknot
    yknot

Plans unveiled to convert human waste to energy

Tue Sep 9, 6:26 pm ET

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) – The U.S. city of San Antonio unveiled a deal on Tuesday that will make it the first U.S. city to harvest methane gas from human waste on a commercial scale and turn it into clean-burning fuel.

San Antonio residents produce about 140,000 tons a year of a substance gently referred to as "biosolids," which can be reprocessed into natural gas , said Steve Clouse, chief operating officer of the city's water system.

"You may call it something else," Clouse said, but for area utilities, the main byproduct of human waste - methane gas - will soon be converted into natural gas to burn in their power plants .

The city approved a deal where Massachusetts-based Ameresco Inc will convert the city's biosolids into natural gas, which could generate about 1.5 million cubic feet per day, he said.

Methane gas, which is a byproduct of human and organic waste, is a principal component of the natural gas used to fuel furnaces, power plants , and other combustion-based generators.

"The private vendor will come onto the facility, construct some gas cleaning systems, remove the moisture, remove the carbon dioxide content , and then sell that gas on the open market," Clouse said.

The gas will be sold to power generators, he said.

Some communities are using methane gas harvested from solid waste to power smaller facilities like sewage treatment plants , but San Antonio is the first to see large-scale conversion of methane gas from sewage into fuel for power generation, he said.

Following the agreement, more than 90 percent of materials flushed down the toilets and sinks of San Antonio will be recycled, he said. Liquid is now used for irrigation, many of the solids are made into compost, and now the methane gas will be recycled for power generation.

(Reporting by Jim Forsyth, Editing by Chris Baltimore and Lisa Shumaker)

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0937395520080909

• Gopher
    Gopher

They should build such a plant in Brooklyn Heights to capture the "biosolid waste" coming from the Watchtower writing department.

(Bet you didn't think I could turn this into a JW topic!!)

• magoo
    magoo

......can you say "soilent green"........

magoo

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I'm not sure which 'San Antonio' this is... I live in the one in Texas - this is the first I've heard of this.

I would actually be surprised if it were here... although this city produces a lot of sh**.

Regards,

Jim TX

• fokyc
    fokyc

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN0937395520080909

Texas city plans to convert human waste to energy.

fokyc

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well, there IS only one 'San Antonio' in Texas... as far as I know. I'm just surprised that this item hasn't made it to the local news.

There are a couple of things that get me about this...

1) San Antonio - Texas - has more than 1 waste recycling plant here. There are several scattered throughout the city - which has a population of close to 2 million people. The article makes it sound like we have only 1.

2) The way that they process the sh**.. is to let it filter through several phases of water treatment... which - to my knowledge - are outdoors - and open to the sky (I don't think they want to put this indoors - as ... yes... there are gasses involved.

So... I'm a bit puzzled by these bief paragraphs that make it sound like this is a simple process to capture the methane gasses - and re-sell them. I'm not saying it's impossible... and perhaps I don't realize how we process waste materials here in San Antonio... it just sounds odd. Plus the fact that none of the local TV media seem to have any coverage on this - which is CERTAINLY news-worthy.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Okay... I stand corrected... it IS in the newspaper locally (which I don't get - except on Sundays)... just not on the TV - for now. (It seems that all they can come up for the TV news lately has to do with a silly hurricane named 'IKE'.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Sewer_gas_has_smell_of_money_now_for_SAWS.html

It also appears that Reuters cut and pasted bits from this article - perhaps leaving out pertinent parts that would have helped me - and others - to realize that they're only doing this project on one of the many waste treatment plants that we have in San Antonio.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jim TX

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

......can you say "soilent green"........

Only if they start making food from it

• yknot
    yknot

Jim you're a riot!

Yknot....of the just north of you tribe.

• Aculama
    Aculama

The Amish have used methane pits to furnish their homes with gas lights and heat supliment for years. Can you say "woopie power"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit