thinking vs. feeling.. must we choose just one ?

by caliber 19 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

Thinking

Thinkers decide based primarily on logic, and when they do so, they consider a decision to be made. They tend to see the world in black and white and dislike fuzziness.

Feeling

Feelers decide based primarily through social considerations, listening to their heart and considering the feelings of others

I get the feeling (is this a pun ?) that since leaving the Wt. that many believe that logic must rule.. never again let your heart sway you.

But is your life fulfilling and complete, moving without the drive and desire from the heart ?

I guess I am a compassionate , feeling person so I may be bias..but I honestly seek your opinions about this.

Is there some sort of balance that you try to reach or does straight logic rule the day ?

Caliber

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah I like using logic but I have to be compassionate too...I'm a mom of four kids. My 7yo got in trouble yesterday and I had to ground him for 2 days. He held it good for a while but soon enough the tears started. Did I turn my back and tell him to suck it up? No, I took my son in my arms, gave him a big hug, and told him that Mommie loves him. Oh, he's still grounded.

Josie

• llbh
    llbh

I am sure most have done the myers brigs test, i came out enfj

I do do feeling and intuition, but then i tend to relflect; and for me this works well usually as it uses my strengths but allows for checks and balances.

Regards David

• poppers
    poppers

Logic is for figuring out how to solve "problems" and resides only in the mind. Feeling is how one relate's to the experience of life and is closer to the core of one's reality. To let life be dictated soley by logic is to rob one of a deeper connection to being.

• mustang
    mustang
    thinking vs. feeling.. must we choose just one ?

I really like this title. Dr. Gene Scott mentioned in one of his lectures that 'Aristotelian logic doesn't handle paradoxes very well'.

The simple, geometry class type reasoning driven logic that we are so used to is this Aristotelian if a, then b type of thoughts.

It is this type of 'Mr. Spock' logic that is emulated and sought by many. Even WTS tries to use it, although they fill their variety with logical fallacies. (My favorite WTS logical fallacy is what I call 'proof by analogy'.)

These logical processes exclude contradictory statements and try to resolve things by selecting one argument over another.

What if BOTH seemingly mutually exclusive arguments could still be held?

Mustang

• maxwell
    maxwell

To answer the question in the title, I don't think we have to choose just one.

However, my experience as Jehovah's Witness was that I must deny my feelings to do what is right. Supposedly, we arrived at what is right logically by determining what God wants us to do. If my feelings contradicted that, I had to ignore them.

Now I'm more free to follow my feelings. Personally, I think logic is still a much more reliable basis for decisions. Feelings, emotions, passions, etc. lead people assault and kill. Of course, some people say logic does the same, but generally I think logic that leads to undesirable behavior is usually false logic and can be overruled by logic. For example, the false logic that leads people to think that Jehovah's Witnesses have the correct interpretation of the Bible is easily defeated when considering more than the narrow set of facts they would have you consider.

In any case, it is good to be in touch with one's feelings. I try to pay more attention my feelings and the feelings of others now. However, in my opinion, logic and rationale will always overrule feelings.

• free2think
    free2think
    Logic is for figuring out how to solve "problems" and resides only in the mind. Feeling is how one relate's to the experience of life and is closer to the core of one's reality. To let life be dictated soley by logic is to rob one of a deeper connection to being.

I love the way Poppers put it, i totally agree.

In my life i've come to rely on my feelings and intuition, and it has seen me through some pretty tough times.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Should keep I over E.

Intelligence over emotion.

Sometimes its hard to do.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Why are the two mutually exclusive, when in fact both phenomena that can be found in any one person at the same time? The very fact that one is cognizant of his/her feelings means they are capable of thinking and feeling at the same time, probably in varying degrees depending on the situation.

Personality theorists believe that these go along a continuum and use tests like the Myers Briggs to determine personality types.

I remember taking one for career counseling and I was an ISFJ ( Introverted, ???, Feeling, ??and something else, I think judging)

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip
    is your life fulfilling and complete, moving without the drive and desire from the heart ?

Even if a person is keen on being logical, it doesn't mean they don't also follow their heart. Since when are the two separate? I hope that I am both.

I guess I am a compassionate , feeling person so I may be bias..but I honestly seek your opinions about this

Um..a person can be logical and compassionate at the same time. One does not negate the other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit