thinking vs. feeling.. must we choose just one ?

by caliber 19 Replies latest jw friends

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Hi Caliber, hope all is well.
    I am not from the WT but, don’t you think that even when you are not suppose to have independent thinking, the Witnesses use that (thinking wherever the teachings are wrong or not), more that what they feel (with the heart). As a matter of fact, a have read in a few sites that sometimes people are manipulated (correct me if I am wrong), “to never trust your own heart”, "wait on Jehovah", "leave it in Jehovah's hands", "don't run ahead". With means that every time that a situation arise that requires to trust your feelings, the teachings kicks in.
    So, in my opinion, even if you think that those people are using their heart, they are not. They are using the thinks that are indoctrinated in their minds and overwriting all the feeling, guts, “social considerations, listening to their heart and considering the feelings of others” and replacing it with logic (whatever that is within the organization), so they “tend to see the world in black and white and dislike fuzziness”.
    Sorry if a make no sense, as a matter of fact I use my feelings more.
    Ismael

• golf2
    golf2

Hmmmm, thinking or feeling? How about both? No, you don't have to choose one. I think of golf and I feel it !

Golf

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Thinking: Left brain.

Feeling: Right brain.

Now why should you have to pick just one when you were born with both sides?

• milligal
    milligal

Critical thinking is an aspect of logic that gives you access to 'both sides'. I prefer that major decisions be driven by logic, but there is no singular way of coming upon knowledge. You HAVE to include all aspects of a given situation and emotion is part of that.

Interestingly, emotional intelligence is listed as a type of intelligence you can have or obtain. People can also be emotionally stupid. So whether emotion or logic drives you, doesn't it all boil down to how good you are at either one?

• caliber
    caliber

Even if a person is keen on being logical, it doesn't mean they don't also follow their heart. Since when are the two separate? I hope that I am both..~. FreudianSlip

Um..a person can be logical and compassionate at the same time. One does not negate the other ~

I think that one does negate the other on any given individual situation or else you are conflicted

For peace of mind and a settled heart conclusions MUST be reached !

While we each have a "preference" in arriving at decisions, we all think AND feel. One tends to dominate the other, but they are both there.~ Changeling

If we allow any given decision to float unresolved or back and forth there is inner conflict !

I am both
    and I think that's why I suffer anxiety! I am creative, but I am also a critical thinker ~FHN
    two capabilities rise to the occasion at the appropriate times. The real trick for many people is balancing the two qualities out and knowing when to emphasize one over the other ~ Flipper

The two thinking modes of thinking or feeling can not co-exist in one given thought pattern situation without conflict.. an unsettled Battle in you heart and mind !

Hi Caliber, hope all is well.
    I am not from the WT but, don’t you think that even when you are not suppose to have independent thinking, the Witnesses use that (thinking wherever the teachings are wrong or not), more that what they feel (with the heart). As a matter of fact, a have read in a few sites that sometimes people are manipulated (correct me if I am wrong), "to never trust your own heart", "wait on Jehovah", "leave it in Jehovah's hands", "don't run ahead". With means that every time that a situation arise that requires to trust your feelings, the teachings kicks in.
    So, in my opinion, even if you think that those people are using their heart, they are not. They are using the thinks that are indoctrinated in their minds and overwriting all the feeling, guts, "social considerations, listening to their heart and considering the feelings of others" and replacing it with logic (whatever that is within the organization), so they "tend to see the world in black and white and dislike fuzziness".
    Sorry if a make no sense, as a matter of fact I use my feelings more.
    Ismael

I agree with Ismael that most WT thinking is dominated by "so-called" true logic

This is exactly opposite to my opening statement below( rather many still believe logic must dominate)

since leaving the Wt. that many believe that logic must rule.. never again let your heart sway you.~Caliber

( the heart has not been allow to hold sway) new added thought apart from quote)

It is now a time to free yourself from logic to more feeling .... not to be stuck in the WT. logic mode I believe that because I had much personnel choice about being active in "the truth "

I never lost my feeling mode I served because I "wanted to " (at that time ) I always

had options as to what I" wished to do."However I realize that for 95% of former Witnesses

great external force was present .. it became a matter of "having to serve "..thus their

dominant mode of operation remains that of "logic" over "feeling "

You must choose "feeling"to dominate to become the real you.. to free heart not just your mind !

Let the true super-conscious you shine freely through ! Void that inner conflict of floating

unresolved .. leave anxiety behind in the dust ! Become within your mind and your "heart

hearts" that person that you should have and now MUST BE !

This for me today is a great EPIPHANY....... a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something

Caliber

• caliber
    caliber

If we feel the feelings of our hopes and dreams as already answered... In this we invoke the ancient quantum principle stating that conditions within our bodies are mirrored in the world beyond. http://www.greggbraden.net/

Without the Utopians of other times, men would still live in caves, miserable and naked. It was Utopians who traced the lines of the first City…..Out of generous dreams come beneficial realities. Utopia is the principle of all progress, and the essay into a better future.
    - Anatole France

Caliber

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    If we allow any given decision to float unresolved or back and forth there is inner conflict !

Indecision is very stressful. This is certain or as they say in southeast Louisiana< this is for true>

Caliber, I was remembering, as I read your epiphany post, that my earliest memory is of being a baby too small to stand. I was in the crib in the nursery at church and a lady came to pick me up to take me out to the children's church service. I was too young to understand words, though I did understand my name when she spoke it. I can still hear her voice like it was a moments ago.

The lady reached over the side of the crib and picked me up. My thoughts were not in words. I felt my thoughts. I felt in awe of everything around me. The overcast light from outside, coming through the many windows in the parish house and nursery. I felt very loved, important, secure. I sat on the lady's lap during the service. I remember everyone singing. I liked what I heard.I could see into the open Sunday school rooms and all the children in the chairs around me. I saw the other lady who led the service. I didn't know it was a service. I just remember it was very interesting and magical. The wall behind her was a brick, very tall wall. I remember what the floor looked like and how the wood smelled.

It's interesting that when someone posted a thread here about our earliest memories, I related my experience of feeling thoughts as a baby. More than one person chimed in to say they had the same experience: they had memories from babyhood and they felt their thoughts, too. Now, take your epiphany and ponder that babies feel their thoughts before they learn language. My memory wasn't just feelings, it was thoughts that I could feel.

• caliber
    caliber

To whom it may concern my typology is INFP....... introvert-intuitive-feeling-perceiving

famous INFP's... St. John.. Mary mother of Christ.. St Luke..Shakespeare.. Neil diamond..John Kennedy.. Longfellow

INFP's ..never lose their sense of wonder.. look through rose colored glasses..have ability to see good in anyone

or anything ! Their extreme depth of feeling is often hidden !

Caliber

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Our feelings are not as detached from our thinking process as it may appears. Our feelings are a result of what we have consciously accepted to be of value to us. Once we have done this we are automatically notified, through our feelings, if something threatens to undermine our values.

As values change so does feeling and sentiment. Anyone who has left the Witnesses has experienced this happening first hand. How we feel is a result of the choices we have made or experiences we have had due to choices others made that have influenced us.

Freud likened the unconscious mind to the horses pulling a cart. The driver is the thinking mind who stays in charge. The horses will do better with a good driver. Only in cases of extreme danger will the unconscious mind take charge and overide the wishes of the conscious mind.

To alter our feeling we have to examine our values and bring our priorities up to date.

• caliber
    caliber

Gladiator,

Our feelings are not as detached from our thinking process as it may appears. Our feelings are a result of what we have consciously accepted to be of value to us. Once we have done this we are automatically notified, through our feelings, if something threatens to undermine our values.

As values change so does feeling and sentiment

I agree with you that in the healthy, ideal situation "feelings are not detached " but as you state "as values change "

How can your entire belief system( WT) change instantly ? Is there not a period of flux and transition ?

IMO.... this peroid is short for some but way too long for many . It is in the conflicting peroid of which I speak .

It is then following this that I believe your ture nature arrives and is settled.. harmony of thinking--feeling---actions

I still believe your true nature flows freely only when feelings of your heart are in charge !

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit