Do the Witnesses ever help anyone (link)?

by easyreader1970 21 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

Mormon church warehouse aids evacuees

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/09/03/mormons_hurricane_supplies.html

Do the Witnesses ever do anything of note to help the common man or do they strictly help themselves?

er

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Just read an article in Awake (I am DA, but was given copies from my ex mother in law) on the relief efforts after Katrina. 17,000 witness volunteers from all the US as well as 13 other countries took part in the relief efforts. Relief centres were set up, some lasted for more than 2 years.... Some witnesses even quit their jobs in order to work fulltime in the relief work. 5,600 homes of witnesses were rebuilt and according to the article several non-witnesses were helped too. Even though the concentrated efforts were done to aid fellow believers, it was a huge project. I admire that part of the witness religion. I disagree with a lot of things, but they are early on such spots and efficient. However, also other groups do a lot (and in times of non-disasters, much more).... I remember when reading about andres, moe than 3000 witnesses helped out, whereas 9000 mormons did and thousands of SDAs..

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They do not lift a finger for anyone but their own, except with strings attached. Anyone whose house is rebuilt by the witlesses is supposed to hand the insurance check to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. And occasionally they do help an occasional worldly person, so they can showcase it as doing good for all.

It is even worse when personal tragedy happens. Whether it be deaths in the family, a house fire, loss of job, or marital breakup, they only have wastes of paper and a "free" home washtowel study to offer. Not even once while I was in did I see anyone offer any sympathy (apart from getting them a washtowel study) toward a worldly person (not a relative) that has had major illness, a death, breakup of significant other, or job/home losses. Not even once!

Besides, it is a sin to put even a penny into the Salvation Army or Red Cross funds.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I see no reason to belittle good efforts nor to praise them as extraordinary as witnesses do. But they at least do help their own.. and whether it is a showcase or not, non-witnesses (relatives and others) benefit, cause efforts by others can then be devoted to others, since witnesses are cared for. I see no need to employ degoratory terms, even though they are witnesses. (One reason why I left the JWs was the handling of abuse cases. However, I do not fall in the trap of thinking that everything is black and white..... like I did when I was a witness.

• VM44
    VM44

The local elders determine if an individual JW is "worthy" of receiving aid.

• aniron
    aniron
    Just read an article in Awake (I am DA, but was given copies from my ex mother in law) on the relief efforts after Katrina.

Can you find any outside reports of all these JWs turning up after Katrina?

I recall that one of the things after Katrina many on this forum commented how there was no help or very little help coming from JWs at the time. JWs who wanted to contribute to help were told they should just make a donation to the "Worldwide Work Fund" . In my 30 years as a JW never once was any appeal made for funds or aid for a disaster. When the tsunami happened in Asia and JWs here wanted to give aid they were told give to "Worldwide Work Fund" . One brother got told off because he donated to the Tsunami Disaster Relief Fund.

I recall a guy who was having a study with JWs, when a hurricane hit Florida. The congregation got together some to go down and help. The guy thought this was great in was the "Christian" thing to do. When in Florida thet helped rebuild JWs homes. When they had finished the guy asked do they now help others, non-JWs, now. He was told no they only help their own brothers. This disgusted him as he thought "Christians" were supposed to help anyone no matter who they were. He told the JWs therefore he no longer wanted anything to do with them.

I found over the years that JWs won't even lift a finger to help those in their own congregation who have needed it, never mind some other place.

In my early days as a JW I once when on ministry put a small amount of money in someone collection tin, think it was for a local hospice. I was told in no uncertain terms that JWs do not give money to any organisation but their own.

• TopHat
    TopHat

The WTS does NOT give ANY support or money....They depend on the kindness of their members for the work and materials but the WTS will take alllllll the credit for helping.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    I see no reason to belittle good efforts nor to praise them as extraordinary as witnesses do. But they at least do help their own.. and whether it is a showcase or not, non-witnesses (relatives and others) benefit, cause efforts by others can then be devoted to others, since witnesses are cared for. I see no need to employ degoratory terms, even though they are witnesses.

Witnesses may help their own in case of natural disasters or if the person(s) are useful members of the congregation. However, I saw personally how my parents (who spent many years slaving for the WT and the local Kingdom Hall) were neglected as they got up in years and were no longer "useful" in the congregation. I've found in talking with others and by being on this forum that this is extremely common. The organization comes first over the needs of the individual members.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

That is too sad... I also remember the points on Katarina that was made by people on JWD some time ago. That is why I thought it was interesting to see the JWs presentation of their relief effort. Of course, the standing in the congregation, should not be of relevance when humanitarian effort is the issue. I guess the truth lies somewhere between the examples given here on JWD (might be that the dissatisfied are overrepresented here, otherwise they would have remained in the socalled spiritual paradise (sic).... and the glossy interviews with over-achieving JWs.

• blondie
    blondie

Only "deserving" jws and on occasion their non-jw spouses might be helped. The WTS tries to make it a PR event. It only like Jesus parable about the dogs getting the crumbs from the tables of humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit