Study shows more violence in religious societes

by dawg 66 Replies latest jw friends

• changeling
    changeling

Satanus: I've often compared being a JW to living in a communist country. In either situation you could not question authority, you had information control (don''t read matierial outside WT/TV and radio broadcast by state), the individual had little importance-regime or organization were put first, if you leave the org. or country you are branded as disloyal.

changeling

• dawg
    dawg

List of famous atheists....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists....None of which committed violence nor believed in the foolish Bible.

We aren't talking about lists here, we're talking about whether religion is good for mankind... you commented on something completely different than what's being discussed.

• dawg
    dawg

Also, listing a who's who of any subject is an appeal to authority fallacy... all of the great minds you listed could be.. no check that, are wrong about Christianity... the Bible, the book Christianity is based upon, has been disproved in each of the sciences you listed these great thinkers coming from.

I've known many a chemist that were both atheist and Christian alike... still, religious societies aren't as good socially as non religious, and that is what this subject is about.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    We aren't talking about lists here, we're talking about whether religion is good for mankind... you commented on something completely different than what's being discussed.

He did not go on to something completely different, his list directly addresses, and refutes, your comment here:

I also found this statement interesting... "Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves".

Anyway, the point of my last thread is that religion hinders human growth on not only a personal level but culturally...

Of course, you say that we aren't talking about lists but then you include.....ANOTHER LIST!

Apparently you are in, to quote your OP, "a self-contained system that maintains an internal logic, no matter how absurd to outside observers".

Hilarious!

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Also, listing a who's who of any subject is an appeal to authority fallacy... all of the great minds you listed could be.. no check that, are wrong about Christianity... the Bible, the book Christianity is based upon, has been disproved in each of the sciences you listed these great thinkers coming from

No. You are wrong again. His list is not an appeal to authority, but a list of concrete examples of Christians that were curious and intellectually active--to the point of doing a great deal to extend the frontiers of human knowledge. This list is a direct refutation of your assertion at the beginning of the thread, which I quoted above. You are the one that wants to get into a "list competion", listing atheists to compete with Christians. As usual, your seemingly damaged mind misses the point entirely.

I've known many a chemist that were both atheist and Christian alike... still, religious societies aren't as good socially as non religious, and that is what this subject is about

I have shown that your religion/violent crime comparison is a red herring. The main driver for violence in societies is demographics. Age, Dr. Watson. Not belief. No one gets mugged by mobs of gerontological grannies, regardless of their religious persuasion or lack thereof, unless they are in a Monty Python skit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygy7UDADXDg

BTS

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

No, Dawg, I got exactly what you were talking about. You think Christians, and any one who is religious are morons, as evidenced by your stupid statement. I showed you a list that shows that you are either intectually dishonest or too lazy to do your own research. If you have a beef with Christianity and/or religions then have your beef with them, but do not stoop to the childish and petty antics of Chrissy Hitchens, Dickie Dawkins and Sammy Harris.

Is religion a problem? Yes it is. However it is no more of a problem than greed or ambition. Just because you chose to parrot only "studies" that agree with your own narrow-minded and bigoted views, does not mean that I have to accept them.

What about those of us that do not accept your narrow-minded and bigoted views of religion? Are we to be sent to "re-education camps" as has been seen in so many Marxist/Communist governments? Will children be taken away from parents that refuse to allow their children to be taught evolution, same-sex marriage or other views that they have fundamental disagreements with?

You, the secular-humanist, are espousing ideas that are the same ideas held by the religious fundamentalists you so hypocritically profess to detest. Funny how those remaining three fingers have a tendancy to point back at you when you point the finger, isn't it?

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Also, listing a who's who of any subject is an appeal to authority fallacy

Dawgie, I did not say that these profound scientists were Christian, therefore Christianity must be true. That, my friend is an appeal to authority. What I did was clearly refute your baseless assertion that Christians lack intellectual curiosity. You my friend are playing semantics.

all of the great minds you listed could be.. no check that, are wrong about Christianity... the Bible, the book Christianity is based upon, has been disproved in each of the sciences you listed these great thinkers coming from.

Really, can you provide some evidence, or is this just another baseless assertion?

I've known many a chemist that were both atheist and Christian alike... still, religious societies aren't as good socially as non religious, and that is what this subject is about.

Says who? Some humanist society that has a bias against religion to begin with?

Your conclusion is false because your premises are false.

• beksbks
    beksbks

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never confuse belief on God with Religiosity!

BTS

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Truly, you have a dizzying intellect

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Dawg/Vizzini: Religion is not responsible for all the world's evils? Inconceivable!

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit