Study shows more violence in religious societes

by dawg 66 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    No they're not, the study showed that 90% of the Japanese didn't believe in God.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never confuse belief on God with Religiosity!

BTS

• dawg
    dawg

I know you are Challenging... but look at some of these comments...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Dawg, the church I used to go to in Grand Rapids flies a rainbow flag outside. They don't tell you what to do or try to make you feel bad about God or yourself. That's one reason the Episcopal Church isn't growing in huge leaps and bounds. They are not evangelical either. You can't paint all religions with the same broad brush.

• changeling
    changeling

While I agree with you completly that education, non-religion and less violence all go hand in hand, I realize that getting a majority of people to see this is just about impossible. The world is not ready.

But, if we don't blow ourselves up first, we will get there. Not in our lifetime, but we'll get there. We have too, it's the logical consequence of learning more about the universe and about human kind.

In time, people will see and accept that religions are based on myths that have divided mankind since it's begining, and they will learn more and more about the fabric of the universe. They will realize man created the notion of god and see it for what it is. But not now, not today.

changeling :)

• dawg
    dawg

Flying, I can paint all religions with this one factor, they harm society by telling adherents that it's OK to drop logic... Societies that do not do this (drop logic and just believe) fare better as the results of this study shows.

Does your religion teach that you must believe that Christ died for you to go to heaven?

Does the Church you go to tell you that you must have faith that this is true?

What is the basis of that faith? Is it logical?

My guess is no it isn't...As a matter of fact, I know it isn't. therefore they are harming you and the society you live in by telling you to just have faith that such a crazy story is true. Societies that have less of this influence fare better, the study shows this is true... did you even read the study?

My comments on homosexual hating sheepherders stands... just because your church isn't homophobic doesn't mean that the men that wrote the Bible didn't hate homosexuals.

Faith causes dissension because it has absolutely no logic backing it...you don't see Japan arguing about God like you see this country doing.. you don't hear the prime minister of Japan telling voters what church he goes to, there is no conflict about this matter because it freaking doesn't matter in the first place. It shouldn't in this country just the same.

• changeling
    changeling

Dear guest: you are confusing communism with atheism. While yes, most communists are atheist, the ideology that made communism so brutal was not the lack of belief in god. It was because they felt their way, their country, their govenment was better and had to be imposed on others.

Here is the crux of the matter: religion AND nationalism are the bain of mankind. As long as people believe their god or their country is better than someone else's, there will be those who want to impose their beliefs or type of govenrment on others. This is the root of war.

changeling :)

• dawg
    dawg

Thank you Challenging for saying what I wanted to say, the religious always get the two mixed up... Believing in a political philosophy that used force isn't what I want either... i believe that both institutions will be eliminated one day by those of us that are pragmatic and non-violent.

• changeling
    changeling

Imagine

by John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Ignoring the "explanations" that the link in the OP provides (none of which are proven), the list fails to account for something very important; the effect of population age on violence. Countries with youthful populations have high crime rates. It so happens that the more secular nations are also older. Japan for example, has one of the oldest (if not the oldest) populations in the world. It faces a demographic crisis. It also has a low crime rate. Europe has similar problems, but it copes by importing a large amount of younger immigrants from more vigorous (and more religious) societies. It happens that the areas where these immigrants live tend to be the areas with high crime.

The study ignores also the effect of abortion rates on crime rates. If you abort your next generation, you are also reducing the future amount of males in the violent age groups (teens through 30). We have seen a similar effect in the US over the last 30 years. The countries that have lower amounts of reported violence commit more of their violence legally in utero.

Violent crime is related more, far more, to demographics than it is to religious belief. This belies Dawg's propaganda. How many 65 year olds do you see in prison for murder, rape or violent robberies? They are nearly all young men.

BTS

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    I also found this statement interesting... "Convinced that only the Bible offers "truth", they lose their intellectual curiosity and their ability to reason. Their priority becomes not the world they live in but themselves".

Losing intellectual curiosity, that I see among the religious I talk to everyday.

Yep! All us Cristans r a bunch of boobs.

Some Famous Scientists who were Christians

John Philoponuslate 6th CenturyAristotle's early Christian critic
    Hugh of St. Victorc. 1096-1141theologian of science
    Robert Grossetestec. 1168-1253reform-minded bishop-scientist
    Roger Baconc. 1220-1292Doctor Mirabiles
    Dietrich von Friebergc. 1250-c. 1310the priest who solved the mystery of the rainbow
    Thomas Bradwardinec. 1290-1349student of motion
    Nicole Oresmec. 1320-1382inventor of scientific graphic techniques
    Nicholas of Cusa1401-1464grappler with infinity
    Georgias Agricola1495-1555founder of metallurgy
    Johannes Kepler1571-1630discoverer of the laws of planetary motion
    Johannes Baptista van Helmont1579-1644founder of pneumatic chemistry and chemical physiology
    Francesco Maria Grimaldi1618-1663discoverer of the diffraction of lightCatholic
    Blaise Pascal1623-1662mathematical prodigy and universal genius
    Robert Boyle1627-1691founder of modern chemistry
    John Ray1627-1705cataloger of British flora and faunaCalvinist (denomination?)
    Isaac Barrow1630-1677Newton's teacher
    Antonie van Leeuwenhoek1632-1723discoverer of bacteria
    Niels Seno1638-1686founder of geology
    James Bradley1693-1762discoverer of the aberration of starlight
    Ewald Georg von Kleistc. 1700-1748inventor of the Leyden jar
    Carolus Linnaeus1707-1778classifer of all living things
    Leonhard Euler1707-1783the prolific mathematician
    John Dalton1766-1844founder of modern atomic theory
    Thomas Young1773-1829first to conduct a double-slit experiment with light
    David Brewster1781-1868researcher of polarized light
    William Buckland1784-1856geologist of the Noahic flood
    Adem Sedgwick1785-1873geologist of the Cambrian
    Augustin-Jean Fresnel1788-1827the physicist of light waves
    Augustin Louis Cauchy1789-1857soulwinning mathematician
    Michael Faraday1791-1867giant of electrical research
    John Frederick William Herschel1792-1871cataloger of the Southern skies
    Matthew Fontaine Maury1806-1873pathfinder of the seas
    Philip Henry Gosse1810-1888popular naturalist
    Asa Gray1810-1888influential botanist
    James Dwight Dana1813-1895systematizer of minerology
    George Boole1815-1864discoverer of pure mathematics
    James Prescott Joule1818-1889originator of Joule's Law
    John Couch Adams1819-1892codiscoverer of Neptune
    George Gabriel Stokes1819-1903theorist of fluorescence
    Gregor Mendel1822-1884pioneer in genetics
    William Thomson, Lord Kelvin1824-1907physicist of thermodynammics
    Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann1829-1907the non-Euclidean geometer behind relativity theory
    James Clerk Maxwell1831-1879father of modern physics
    Edward William Morley1838-1923Michelson's partner in measuring the speed of light
    Pierre-Maurice-Marie Duhem1861-1923the physicist who recovered the science of the Middle Ages
    Georges Lemaitre1894-1966the prist who showed us the universe is expanding
    George Washington Carverc. 1864-1943pioneer in chemurgy
    Arthur Stanley Eddington1882-1944the astronomer who ruled stellar theory

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit