Bethel Tour - What a Joke

by tresdecu 13 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I had to laugh (internally of course), I was over at a friends house and he was showing me pics of a bethel trip they took sometime in the spring. Pic 1...a bunch of people (the tourists) in suits walking through a (seeming empty-ish) warehouse with goofy smiles on their faces. (oh boy a warehouse!) Pic 2-6: stopping to look at an information board with pictures, and textual descriptions. Pic 7: a little museum room of sorts, picture next to african kids (life size cardboard cut outs) selling magazines (I'm not joking!!) and also "bros and sis" posing with an antique watchtower and awake bag advertising the mags for 5c.

I hope they got a good deal on airfare!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I've heard some reports that the operations there are getting smaller and so there's not much to show off. You would think they would discourage visits to an mostly empty warehouse

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

this stuff turns them on.!

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

kinda like how my mother-in-law loves pools (she really loves going to them).

when she in one, she dippes her toes.

god forbid, she gets her hair splashed by the kids.....

• Dagney
    Dagney

It's still mother's house. I went (reluctantly) a couple years ago. It was sad to me because it was a shell of a place compared to the heydays of the 1980's when I visited numerous times.

But the group I was with recently were thrilled to see the empty warehouses where "things used to be," and the corporate offices and numerous other offices, along with the personal visit to a Bethelite's room and lunch with "the family." AND, to even see Carey Barber drive into the dining room on his scooter and pose for pictures...well, they were pretty happy. It is really a "holy" place to many.

I think they will have visits as long as it's requested.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Sure sounds like a fine waste of someone's time.

• carla
    carla

Lisavegas, that is horrible!

"stopping to look at an information board with pictures" --sorry, I have to chuckle here, you mean a bulliten board? My jw has not gotten the memo on 'information board' and still slips up and calls them bulliten boards.

Isn't it strange how jw's condemn the Catholics who want to visit Rome yet look at Bethel pretty much the same way?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Isn't it strange how jw's condemn the Catholics who want to visit Rome yet look at Bethel pretty much the same way?

Yep, and if you point out the similarity to a jw they will deny deny deny

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I visited the Vatican during an international convention; a tour organized by the WTS and pitched to the jw delegates. I was somewhat surprised.

• sir82
    sir82

But I bet you also went to the Italy Bethel!

• abbagail
    abbagail

"Actually, I visited the Vatican during an international convention; a tour organized by the WTS and pitched to the jw delegates. I was somewhat surprised." - Blondie

Surprised... wow, I'm SHOCKED! Wasn't the "rule" (at least during the 1980s when I was in), that JWs should NEVER STEP FOOT in a "false" religion's building? Whether it was ever a "written" rule or just a "highly suggestive" one in their Questions from Readers or wherever, I would have been severely "stumbled" if I had ever heard of the WTS setting up tours to the Vatican, lol.

Of all places, the Home of the Great Harlot, and WT wants to go take a lookie, lol. Of course I'm sure they would say it's for historical or "museum-like" purposes, or better yet, maybe they wanted to go use the Vatican LIBRARY! ha!

/ag

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit