Did You Get To "Handle The Microphones"???

by minimus 61 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Were you one of those deemed "qualifed for this privilege":???

• Mary
    Mary
    BW bragged: Yeah, I also ran the sound equipment several times. It made for a good distraction. . .

Ya, but could you handle both tasks at the same time?? Laughing MutleyLaughing MutleyLaughing Mutley

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

OH yes- it was the highlight of my week - mics, platform, sound wonderful privileges

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

If named all my privileges, I would be tracked down instantly, as it is a very unique combination.

Admitting to mic toting is harmless enough, though. Males from eight to eighty get to do it.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yes... well... mostly, I adjusted the amplifiers and played the records for the songs.

I was always tinkering... and I think I must have baffled more than one or two of the fellas there... adding my own amplifiers, and trying things out - like wiring in the output of a cassette player to the sound system.

I know it wasn't much... but it seemed to be beyond most that I tried to explain it to.

Since the amplifiers were in the back of the KH, it gave me a good reason to sit in the back - which tended to grind some... might be the reason I never got called upon to answer at the Watchtower meetings. (I usually got in trouble later with my mom... "Why didn't YOU answer any questions?" "I tried... never got called on.")

Anyway... that was long ago. They have changed the way they do things nowadays, I'm sure.

Regards,

Jim TX

• asilentone
    asilentone

Yes, I was in charge of Microphones at one point.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I had the great priviledge of buying and installing the very first sound system in Oak Glen kingdom hall back in about 1968. This was because my "pioneer business" was fixing electronic musical instruments for local bands part time.

An interesting historical note was that this was met with a huge contraversy (both with the servants and with the general congregation).

I would say in retrospect that probably a majority were "old school" who thought that this was not needed and was too expensive. It was sort of "forced into being" by a new PO who had been handpicked by the then-current CO. He was a reformer and was hated by many.

The early system was for the platform only - we did not have roving mikes for the audience for many years, in fact - until after I had left the organization.

For what it is worth, there was a similar negative reaction and floor-fight within the congregation when the decision was made to air-condition the hall, and also when we changed the floor covering from linoleum to industrial carpet.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Absolutely. I was a teenage mike handler. It was a great way to check out the girls.

I remember back in the good old days when the mikes had cords. None of that wireless stuff for me, no sir. I was an oldschool mike handler.

• mustang
    mustang

Big time.

Mustang

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I first did that at the age of 13. That was pretty much my only "privilege" until I was 20 and I became a Ministerial Servant.

That's when the abuse started. I was the "assistant" to one book study conductor. After a while, he just stopped coming and the book study was in his name only. I was the conductor of it, though not on paper. That lasted about a year or so and then I was asked to be another's "assistant". The same thing happened there except that this elder would call me every Friday night before the Saturday morning study and say he couldn't make it. I had to call him and tell him to stop. That only frustrated me. I would just assume that he was not going to be there and so that became my study as well.

I also was HWIC (Head Witness In Charge) of the literature counter. I hated that job the most. Why? Because nobody wanted to follow the official rules when it came to special orders. Except for magazines and some books we normally kept in stock, everything else was special orders. If you didn't "special order" your calendar, yearly text, bound volume, or whatever YOU DIDN'T GET ONE.

"But at my old congregation, they ordered some for everybody."

This was always the excuse. That and "I didn't get my magazines." "Yes, you did." "No, I didn't." "Well, there aren't anymore."

er

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit