"Do not destroy" your file after reinstatement ...

by compound complex 15 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Karl Adams, Writing Department overseer, wrote a letter to President Knorr (November 18, 1971), questioning the keeping of voluminous files containing embarrassing information on disfellowshipped persons. Even after individuals were reinstated, their files were retained:

"At the present time the names of even those reinstated are kept in the file, and bulky records are kept of their cases, labeled 'Do no destroy.' It seems tantamount to saying: 'We believe you are forgiven, but we are keeping a record of your sin.' Or like saying, 'Your sins are washed clean but we are storing the dirt in a jar with your name on the label.'"

Decades later the practice continues.

IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, by Ray Franz, p. 324, footnote 22.

• choosing life
    choosing life

All those creepy files. This is a religion that makes sure you never feel forgiven or clean. I never realized this until I had the displeasure of observing a kangaroo court deal with my young son.

• only me
    only me

That is too creepy. Where do they usually keep these sordid files and who has access to them? If they're just in sealed envelopes then couldn't just anyone open and read them and then just put them back in a new envelope?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

No LisaAnne, that is not true. Bethel will not hand over your files. I requested them from the Australia branch and they refused. I then used the Privacy Act to get them, they still refused. I then went to the Australian Privacy Commission as I believe it is illegal for the Watchtower not to hand them over, and they have been in a legal battle with the Watchtower for 2 years trying to get hold of my files. The files do not contain anything too interesting, so it is remarkable the incredible cost the Watchtower has gone to trying to keep them secret.

• reniaa
    reniaa

lol how quickly would we condemn them for making private information on people available to all?

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

You are right that files can be kept for a very long time.

Usually, the notes on a judicial meeting would be kept in a sealed envelope in the congregation file that is kept by the congregation secretary.
    However, in recent years the instructions have been that files on the sexual abuse of children shuld be sent to the society for them to keep.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

I have to agree with this, in general. For any organization, for-profit, non-profit, religious, etc.

If a person moves from congregation to congregation, or hangs around long enough in the same congregation to see several "shifts" of elders, then there would be a need to see if there was a pattern to their problems, without simply relying on the memory of the current elders.

The above, of course, is to assist that 0.5% of elders who actually do the job of keeping the congregation clean correctly.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

jwfacts:

They do not fear your file, they fear that if they have to give it up, it sets the legal precedent, and they are completely screwed. They would lose all semblance of power over the records.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    Bethel will not hand over your files. I requested them from the Australia branch and they refused. I then used the Privacy Act to get them, they still refused. I then went to the Australian Privacy Commission as I believe it is illegal for the Watchtower not to hand them over, and they have been in a legal battle with the Watchtower for 2 years trying to get hold of my files. The files do not contain anything too interesting, so it is remarkable the incredible cost the Watchtower has gone to trying to keep them secret.

This is scary.

Why do they have more power than your government?

Who has given them such absolute power of dictatorship?

What do they intend to use this information for? Is there some reason that they keep such close tabs...even on the df'd? Is there a plan for this information in the future?

How do you think it could be used against you?

• shell69
    shell69

Renaii,

Not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly?

I would say, I never gave them permission to even 'retain' information regarding any judicial matter about me in the first place.

So are we saying here that this cult's head quarters will have on record the judicial meeting that took place with me when I was only 14 years old???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit