Lost a Good Friend in Death this Weekend- He Worked Part Time For Me

by flipper 36 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

This guy named Jim- 49 years old died of a massive heart attack . Shocked the hell out of me. He was a very giving person helping provide for his disabled brother - even though he was a man of little means. He had a 2 and a half pack of cigarette smoking habit, and drank a case of coca cola every day - so he didn't have the best of health habits. He had been diagnosed with high blood pressure- 260 over 160 - and recently a month ago put on blood pressure medicine. He worked 80 hours a week on his brothers behalf- as his brother's wife had died 2 years before.

I feel not only sad , but I'm feeling anger over the fact Jim had to work SO HARD just to survive - and without medical insurance just kind of fell through the cracks in our society. So - thanks for letting me vent- your thoughts and observations are appreciated . We were close in a work environment - had a lot of good discussions over the years. It's just so sad to me to see a person work so hard- in part it sends them to an early grave. I really wonder about life sometimes

• exwitless
    exwitless

Sorry to hear about your friend, Flipper. I know exactly what you mean about how some people have to bust their asses just to survive. It's not fair. Sounds like he literally worked himself to death.

• carla
    carla

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Hope someone else will be there to help the disabled brother.

• Satanus
    Satanus

In a different time and different culture, if he had a particular belief, he might have been made a saint. Thanks for sharing that.

S

• hubert
    hubert

Sorry to hear you lost a good friend, Mr. Flipper.

From what you say, he was a really great guy. Too bad he didn't cut down on some of those bad habits. He may have lived longer. That working schedule didn't help him, of course.

May he rest in peace. Yes, it isn't fair. either.

Hubert

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

You have such a kind heart Flipper. Working in a hospital, I see first hand the plight of others, not just the patients, but housekeepers and others who work way harder physically than I ever could. Only to find out that one of the women cleans toilets 10 hours a day for 8 bucks an hour and takes care of a husband who has had a stroke and an orphaned grandchild. It just seems so unfair that nothing goes right for some people. I think it is important for us to take note and make their life better in any small way we can, sometimes it's just a hug or a cup of coffee and "how are you today"? It seems like you did this for this man. Such a good reminder to appreciate our life. I'm sorry for your loss.

• changeling
    changeling

(((((((((((((((flipper)))))))))))))))))))

I'm so sorry.

changeling

• restrangled
    restrangled

So sorry about the loss of your friend Flipper..,.r and hubby!

• watson
    watson

You're a kind and caring man, Flipper. My heart goes out to you, and I understand your frustration.

• Casper
    Casper

My deepest sympathies, Mr. Flipper.

Your friend sounds like a wonderful, caring person.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit