** If God is love, you cannot fear him **

by FlyingHighNow 62 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu
    In this life, we will never totally conquer fear. What we cannot control in life causes us fear and anxiety. Suffering, loss of a loved one and the ultimate fear of dying are all about a loss of control. These things can make us feel powerless. The more we trust God, the less we suffer from fear, but I don't think we can totally escape fear in this present life.

I agree with that!

bebu

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I really like discussions like these.

FHN I didn't ask about the UU church, choosing life did.

I really like this statement of yours

Gladiator, this is very true. Human's often try to fashion God into something they can understand. They understand the way man handles problems and it is often with fear and punishment that men deal with problems. We cannot and will not really understand God while here on this earth, not in the "accurate" way that the WTBTS insists we can.

I do have faith that the real God is love.

Personally I don't believe in God as such and agree with you that as humans "we cannot really understand God while here on this earth" but I can see him as the unknown (and even as the unknowable) in humaninty and in life. So yes approaching the unkown with love rather than fear does resonate with me. But of course that is easier said then done as so much of the unkown seems fearful.

ql

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Aguest

QL

May you have peace!

I want to clarify too, FHN and Aguest do you both base your beliefs on your own experiences of God rather than on the Bible/gospels?

I cannot speak for FHN, but with regard to me, yes: although I have quoted Bible verses here (and have done so for those who need to see it in writing), my faith is based on my own experience(s) of God, through Christ, the Holy Spirit.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

When I was first leaving the WTS my fears produced huge panic attacks at night and the image of Jesus as a shining light would calm me down and completely and magically dispel the fear. As humans, we see that we live by light so if I was taking a completely reasoning material approach I'd say that maybe thats what dispelled my fear (but fortunately we are more than just material parts). And I can see that transformations are a part of our being and non being. Does that make sense?

ql

• reniaa
    reniaa

can we have some proof texts/links that translating the word fear in the bible was incorrect rather than just personal statements please!

• caliber
    caliber

Just a few more thoughts I found on th net about what fear of God is.

For the unbeliever, the fear of God is to fear the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God (Luke 12:5; Hebrews 10:31). For the believer, the fear of God is something much different. The believer's fear is reverence of God. Hebrews 12:28-29 is a good description of this, "Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire." This reverence and awe is exactly what the fear of God means for Christians. This is the motivating factor for us to surrender to the Creator of the Universe.

Believers are not to be “scared” of God. We have no reason to be scared of Him. We have His promise that nothing can separate us from His love (Romans 8:38-39). We have His promise that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Fearing God means having such a reverence for Him, that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives. The fear of God is respecting Him, submitting to His discipline, and worshiping Him in awe.

It's not that the word fear not be use as much as what is implied.. the meaning of the word ! If the wrong thought is the result

of using the word fear why not convey the meaning more accurately ? Never may the true thought be "lost in translation ! "

Caliber

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    For the unbeliever, the fear of God is to fear the judgment of God and eternal death, which is eternal separation from God (Luke 12:5; Hebrews 10:31). For the believer, the fear of God is something much different. The believer's fear is reverence of God. Hebrews 12:28-29 is a good description of this, "Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire." This reverence and awe is exactly what the fear of God means for Christians. This is the motivating factor for us to surrender to the Creator of the Universe.

This is the kind of fear I am referring to as the point of this thread. Jehovah's Witnesses and fundamentalist Christians, some Muslims try to paint God as someone who will judge and punish them with hell or eternal separation from God. They think ths fear will motivate people into repenting and deciding to serve God and obey him. But God is Love and love does not use fear of torture, damnation, destruction, eternal death, etc. to motivate people to love back or make good decisions.

This is getting into a discussion of semantics. Yes, you can have reverence for God or awe of God. But do you serve him out of fear of retaliation and fear of harm and loss of your eternal life? Do you choose to follow rules out of fear of what God will do to you if you don't follow? This kind of fear tactic is not thing of love. God is love and would not use this kind of fear tactic to motivate people to serve him, love him and choose to good things.

Hi, Bebu. I need to write you a PM and let's talk soon.

• caliber
    caliber

one of the most profound statements in the Bible: “God is love” (1 John 4:8). Never was a more important declaration made than this; never was more meaning crowded into a few words than in this short sentence—God is love. This is a profound statement. God doesn’t just love; He is love. His nature and essence are love. Love permeates His very being and infuses all His other attributes,

If, even knowing these things, we still see God as angry and imposing, it could be that we are not sure of our own relationship to Him

Caliber

• caliber
    caliber

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AMtODE00DzQ&feature=related

Every act of love will set you free !!!! Be the light for all to see

Use the language that we need not explain... but only to feel it's warmth !

Caliber

• caliber
    caliber

Bttt~ more must see this inspiring video.. the universal language

we need not explain------- but only to feel it's warm !

Caliber

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

1 Corinthians 13:8 "Love never fails..."
    1 Corinthians 13:13 "Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

Matthew 22:36-40 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

Notice in the quote from Matthew of what Jesus emphasized. Love. He coulda quoted scripture of fear God and give him glory, but he instead concentrated on the single most important aspect of our relationship with God and others and that is the love we have and show.

the stone sentinel,
    StoneWall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit