** If God is love, you cannot fear him **

by FlyingHighNow 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

In gnosticism, the creator god wasn't very smart, and in fact did not know the real god. He was blind. It's a more accurate enterpetation within the theistic framework than is claiming that the creator is love.

S

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Being afraid of Him--that was the primary motive of having served Him at all. Once I realized that He was not going to fulfill His promises, fear was all that was left. At first, fear of destruction. When that failed, it was fear that He would make my problems even worse and create new ones. For sure, that is not the way to get me to ever start loving Him.

This is a good thing, to realize that it was only fear that motivated you. How do you know he will not fulfil his promises? The world is still here.

My point is that fear should not be a motivater. It does not promote love. You're on your own spiritual journey and you've progessed along the road far enough to figure out JW's and religions like them, use fear to motivate, manipulate and control people. Like me and many, many more people, you've decided you don't want any part in that fear.

In gnosticism, the creator god wasn't very smart, and in fact did not know the real god. He was blind. It's a more accurate enterpetation within the theistic framework than is claiming that the creator is love.

In gnosticism, the creator and The God of Love are not the same beings. This is why they contradict each other so starkly, one is jealous, angry, murderous and wants us to be scared to death of him, literally. The other is Love. The Bible's definition of Love is found at 1 Corinthians 13:3-8:

3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[ b ] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails...

These past few months, I have begun to understand free will and it's effect on the world in which we live. People have free will and they often choose to do good things with it. And then they often choose to do bad, even evil things with free will. I am learning more about the reasons God does not always interfere with free will. I have a lot to learn. There are still times I yell at God. I do have faith that things will work out in the eventual end, to everyone's benefit, even though for now our time here on earth can be very painful.

• Borgia
    Borgia

The anti fear prayer reminded me of this:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Frank Herbert in Dune reciting the mantra of the Bene Gisseret.

Cheers

Borgia

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love, but perfect love throws fear outside, because fear exercises a restraint. Indeed, he that is under fear has not been made perfect in love." (NWT)

How can anyone read this scripture and not see something wrong with the fear climate created by many churches?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Thank you, Borgia. Fear is a horrible thing to foist on people when it's completely unnecessary. We have religions that keep people under fear and in America, we have the Bush administration that has manipulated congressmen and citizens through fear of terrorist attacks. It's a great tool to control. But the toll it takes on our lives is horrendous. No loving God or President would want to see people in the constant grips of fear.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I believe God is love and the angry god of fear is an imposter.

"For THIS I have been born, and for THIS I have come into the world... that I should bear witness... to the TRUTH." John 18:37

"Most truly I say to you, the Son cannot do a SINGLE thing of his own initiative, but ONLY WHAT HE BEHOLDS THE FATHER DOING. For whatever things THAT One does... these things the SON does... in like manner. For the Father has affection for the Son... and shows him ALL the things HE HIMSELF does, and he will show him works GREATER than these... in order that you may marvel." John 5:19, 20

"The things I say to you men I do not speak of my own originality, but the Father... who remains in union with me... is doing HIS works." John 14:10

"God, who long ago spoke on many occasions and in many ways to our forefathers... by means of the prophets... has... at the end of these days... spoken to US... by means of a Son..." Hebrews 1:1

"He [the Son] is the REFLECTION OF HIS [God's] glory and the EXACT REPRESENTATION of his [God's] very being..." Hebrews 1:3

"If you men had known ME... you would have known my Father also; from this moment on, you know him... and have seen me." John 14:7

He that has MY commandments... and observes them... that one is he who loves me. In turn, he that loves me will be loved by my Father... and I will love him... and willplainly show myself to him." John 14:21

"If anyone loves me, he wil observe my word, and my Father will love him... and WE shall come... and make our abode (home/dwelling) with him. He that does NOT love me does NOT observe my words; and the word that you are hearing is NOT mine... but belongs to the Father... who sent me." John 14:23

"You heard it was said 'You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' However, I say to you: Continue to love... your enemies... and to pray for those persecuting you; that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens... For it you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not the tax collectors doing the same thing? And if you greet your brothers only... what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not the people of the nations doing the same thing? YOU...must, accordingly, be perfect... as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:43-48

Perfect in what? In love. If you want to know the TRUTH... about God, the Most Holy One of Israel, whose name is JAH... of Armies... then you must know the TRUTH... His Son and Christ, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH. John 14:6 Because NO ONE comes to the Father... unless they go through that One. HE... is the Door... the "narrow gate"... that one must find... and "enter" through.

I bid you peace!

Servant to the Household of God, Israel, and all who go with... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Except when you don't buy and sell his magazines then he really gets pissed, but either than that that he's really a nice guy.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yeah, when you don't buy his magazines, it keeps him up at night wondering if he should add a suggestion box. He really does need his sleep. Like me. All wake and no sleep makes God a dull boy.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Follow the truth and he will love you as you will love yourself Homerovah 2 : 24

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think people who try to skeer you with God are gonna be doin' a lot of community service when they get to the other side.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

FlyingHighNow

If you do not fear God, then love can motivate you. Love as a motivater is vastly superior to fear as a motivater.

I wonder if that worked for Hitler? Hitler didn't fear God. What was motivating him?

Love and fear are the only emotions we as human entities are able to express. All the others are just sub-categorical emotions.

Sorry, but this is misguided. Hate is not a sub-category of fear. Many resort to hate to overcome fear. Hate can work they same way you say love does.

Many of the cruelest men in the world don't (or didn't) fear God. In fact, many thought they were gods themselves. What does your "god of love" intend to do with them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit