** If God is love, you cannot fear him **

by FlyingHighNow 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

FlyingHighNow

Who said Hitler cared about any kind of god but himself and the Nazi party? Obviously he did not LOVE. Love didn't motivate Hitler. Fear and hate motivated Hitler. Love is vastly superior as a motivator. This is the point of my thread. Or did you read the short my comments and the article?
    I agree with you about Hitler. Hitler did not fear God, he overcame fear with hate.

I said that Frank Sant'Agata's point that

(Love and fear are the only emotions we as human entities are able to express. All the others are just sub-categorical emotions.)
    is not a true statement.

Hate is not a sub-category of fear!

My point is that Hitler overcame his fear of God with hatred of God

I submit that your "god of love", is inferior to the God of the bible and does not exist.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

FlyingHighNow

I woud also say that I love God and fear Him at the same time, much as I did my own earthly father.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    didn't jesus say "be in fear of him who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna" Matt10:28. He also told us to love him. So it seems to me that the gospels show that love and fear go together

Did Jesus say that? Or did someone claim he said that? I don't believe he did. It is not consistent with love. Good point about the scribes being the one to record the Bible. Fearing a fall or lightening or fire is not the same as fearing your heavenly father. Children should not fear that a parent will hurt or destroy them. Trying to scare your children into good behavior is ineffectual and abusive. You are only teaching them to be afraid of you or your discipline or punishment. Allowing children to learn make choices decisions and seeing the consequences is better. There are consequences everywhere, right here on earth, that teach us something now. Such as being arrested for shoplifting, getting an F on a paper because you cheated, unwanted pregnancies, std's, divorces, losing friends. We don't have to threaten our children with torture or death to teach them that actions have results and some results can be very unpleasant.

• choosing life
    choosing life

FHN, can I ask you a question? You say you are a Universalist. Yet, when posting on White Dove's thread, you ask what a UU is? I actually like a lot of things about Universalists. I am just confused if you are one, why you would ask what they are? Please don't take this as confrontational, I am just confused.

Sincerely, choosing life

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest...

"In truth, folks need to ditch the "god" of the Bible, as hatefully depicted by the "false stylus of the secretaries"... for His Son, the Holy One of Israel, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, who came to bear witness to the TRUTH about His Father, the True God and MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... and remember that he (the Son) condemned the [practices of] the scribes... right along with those of the Pharisees.

It was the scribes who wrote what we have about the "god"... of the Bible. There was even a "Bible" of sorts when he was on the earth (the Greek Septuagint). If, then, Christ gave them... and their work... no creditation, why in the world should we? Kiss... the SON.

Peace to you all."...

hummmmm...kinda sounds like you're manuvering your way into ditching the book of revelation cuz it isn't peaceful enough for you...

love michelle

• AGuest
    AGuest
    hummmmm...kinda sounds like you're manuvering your way into ditching the book of revelation cuz it isn't peaceful enough for you...

What? I'm sorry but I SO don't get what you're implying here. "Ditching" the book of Revelation "'cuz it isn't peaceful enough" [for me]? What does "peaceful"... or not "peaceful"... have to do with the Book of Revelation... and why would I "ditch" it for ANY reason? I don't get where you're coming from, Michelle... and your insinuation does not bode with the "love" you keep implying with your little hearts.

I don't get you: you send me scads of PMs that, I must honestly admit, don't make much sense to me, and appear very contradictory... and then you post stuff like this here. It's becoming confusing, so I am going to ask that you please keep it all here. That way, if I don't get where you're coming from (as I don't here and in the PMs), perhaps someone else can help explain it.

My wish for peace remains, and I remain...

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I want to clarify too, FHN and Aguest do you both base your beliefs on your own experiences of God rather than on the Bible/gospels?

I'm not criticizing just trying to understand. Lots of devout believers worshipped through their own experience of God rather than through revealed scripture.

ql

• amicus
    amicus

Interestingly enough, once again (it's been a few years for me), AGuest says something that I can grasp like a life ring from that sinking ship.

I gave up long ago on the "Bible". I find it hard to believe that anyone can accept that "book" as the "word of god".

I *do* find that some things I've read from that document, specifically, most of the qoutes of "Jesus" just fucking blow me away.

I've pretty much decided that most of the "Bible" is trash and Jesus was wiser that he should ever have been.

How could one man be so freakin' wise?

Honestly, I don't get it unless there is some kinda god. I don't think I'm grasping at straws, I'm just trying to resolve some long term questions I have.

• reniaa
    reniaa

This is just a classic case of having to accept or reject what the bible says, as i showed earlier there a massive amount of fear God scriptures that totally contradict what the poster is trying to achieve,

The only way to get past this is to do what Aguest and others have done and that is persuade yourself that the bible is nothing to do with jesus a book where men have got it wrong again,

If you think your own judgement is better than the bible then go and agree with Aguest and others if you accept that fear and love are both relevant like the bible says when dealing with god then you are at the same place I am.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Fear is the abscence of love but fear and love are really two sides of the same coin. We love the things or people that we value, then we seek to protect that which we value, which leads to fear of losing what we value.

When it comes to god, we are just projecting our subjective emotions onto something invisible outside of ourselves in the hope of giving them substance, or elevating our emotions a holy status. The more people who will join us in this endeavour, the more real our belief in god becomes. In this way the god of the bibe has been made in the image of mankind.

In the end it is all just words and our concept and understanding of love are in constant flux. The process is called life and any attempt to convert this phenomena into words ends in confusion and disappointment because the process is not dependant on words.

Hail Cesar!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit