Not too bright! 21% of atheists believe in God.

by BurnTheShips 44 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover
    You're the one with a belief based on nothing.

Why do theists have to bring atheists down to their level with this "belief" business? A true atheist doesn't have to "believe" in anything...in fact he does the opposite...he refuses to believe in the notion of a being that has no evidence of existing or being in power.

Here's the definition of Atheism on Wikipedia: Atheism, as an explicit position, can be either the affirmation of the nonexistence of gods, or the rejection of theism. It is alsodefined more broadly as synonymous with any form of nontheism, including the simple absence of belief in deities.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Deputy Dog:

What's the origin of all your evidence? The Big Bang? What caused that?

What are you getting at? Why couldn't the Big Bang be an Uncaused Cause? Or don't you believe in such things?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

In March 2007, a Newsweek poll had an even higher percentage of atheists--27% believed in God.

Are picking on Newsweek readers now?

• startingover
    startingover

Interesting thread!

That atheists for jesus link, now that's a twist. It appears to have nothing to do with belief in god however, only that a man named Jesus lived on the earth. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And you believers, you are really all atheists, you just believe is one more god that I do.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

derek

Why couldn't the Big Bang be an Uncaused Cause?

Thanks for making my point!

Nothing caused the Big Bang!

So all your beliefs are based on...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Deputy Dog:

Thanks for making my point!

You're welcome, I guess. Care to share your point, whatever it is? Surely it's not as simplistic as the fact that part of my beliefs may include unknowns, or even nothing? What sort of point would that be?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I hope it's proof that the impressive walls between theism and a-theism are breaking down.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I am intolerant of people who use language so incorrectly that they can define themselves in an inherently contradictory way.

Maybe language is tolerant enough to be used contradictorily.

• Satanus
    Satanus

DD

Why insist that nonbelief needs to be based on something. If i showed you an empty field, and told you that there is no house there, would you insist that there must be a foundation for the nonhouse? By your way of thought, 'nothing' needs 'something' for support. Funnier even, coming from you, since it is faith that supports your god structure.

S

Btw, it was instability that caused the big bang;)

• LtCmd.Lore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit