Not too bright! 21% of atheists believe in God.

by BurnTheShips 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/report2religious-landscape-study-key-findings.pdf

Think its weird? Scroll down to pages 9 and 11, where you’ll find 12% believing in heaven and 10% praying at least once a week.

BTS

• Gregor
    Gregor

Can you repeat the question?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

It appears that some theists are so stupid they don't understand what the word "atheist" means. At the very least, this anomaly strongly suggests that the results of this survey should not be taken too seriously.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog
    The first objection that suggests itself may be expressed in the rhetorical question "Do you mean to assert that non-Christians do not discover truth by the methods they employ?" The reply is that we mean nothing so absurd as that. The implication of the method here advocated is simply that non-Christians are never able and therefore never do employ their own method consistently.... The best and only possible proof for the existence of such a God is that his existence is required for the uniformity of nature and for the coherence of all things in the world.... Thus there is absolutely certain proof for the existence of God and the truth of Christian theism. Even non-Christians presuppose its truth while they verbally reject it. They need to presuppose the truth of Christian theism in order to account for their own accomplishments(The Defense of the Faith, p.120). Cornelius Van Til
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

If Christianity cannot define itself with regards to who is and is not Christian (you've got all kinds calling themselves "Christian" like JWs), then do you think Atheists will get any better? After all, isn’t it intolerant or, non-freethinking of you, to deny those within your particular group, group status, just because they deny the very thing that defines the group? Come on! There are Atheists for Jesus after all!

http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/

This is pretty amazing. Shouldn't every person who calls himself "religious" believe in God, either as a personal being or impersonal force? Otherwise aren't they atheist or agnostic? The numbers should all read 100%. Ditto for some of the other questions.

Apparently there are a bunch of people who call themselves religious but really aren’t, and are functionally atheist. And there are a bunch of people who call themselves atheist but are really stupid, and don’t know what it means.

Sounds like you atheists have a sizable moron quotient just like the rest of us. To paraphrase South Park, One quarter of people are retarded.

This poll is proof that God created us equal.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Deputy Dog:

Wow! The wacky circular nonsense of Cornelius Van Til. Haven't seen that in a while. Not sure what your point is unless it's just to remind us that not all the stupid theists think they're atheists!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Who's not to bright? The 21% that do or the 79% that don't

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The flaw here is labels again. The notion that we have to arrive at a definite conclusion about the universe and its origins and then wear a badge that lets the world know what we have concluded.

Christians can't agree what they believe in and nor can most atheists agree on whether atheism is a believe of just a lack of belief.

It is much easier in my world. I am a gladiator who has many Greek and Roman gods and demi-gods. I see the bible as a Jewish book that was taken hostage by Rome. Salute!

Christians are not as useless as they appear, they make good lion food. I admire the way they seem to say grace before they are eaten. I only put faith in my Gladius and expect my gods to serve me and the emperor. So I am neither a worshiper or an atheist.

Hail Cesar

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This thread made me realize:

I am atheist too.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

Sounds like you atheists have a sizable moron quotient just like the rest of us.

No arguments there. Stupidity is not limited to any one group. I can understand though how the occasional self-declared Catholic (for example) can actually be an atheist, as many people simply define themselves by the religion in which they were raised, regardless of whether they believe it. But who the hell is going around telling people they're an atheist when they actually believe in a god - and even pray to one? I'm not generally in favour of rounding up people and sterilising them, but if I was, "atheists who believe in God" would be a good place to start.

To paraphrase South Park, One quarter of people are retarded.

I don't know about that, but half of people are below average - and the average is not that great.

This poll is proof that God created us equal.

No, it's proof that some people are less evolved than others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit