Not too bright! 21% of atheists believe in God.

by BurnTheShips 44 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I hope it's proof that the impressive walls between theism and a-theism are breaking down.

There is certainly a great deal more shading than what most people think, thank God. As a new atheist, I am pleased. I hate people stereotyping me as an arrogant elitist. BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Btw, it was instability that caused the big bang;)

You have no proof of this. What's more, you know it.

BTS

• Satanus
    Satanus

But, you gotta admit that it's possible that, in a field of potential, an instability could have become what we call the big bang. No god cause is needed in that scenario.

S

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But, you gotta admit that it's possible that, in a field of potential, an instability could have become what we call the big bang. No god cause is needed in that scenario.

There is no evidence of fields of any kind pre Big Bang.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    It appears that some theists are so stupid they don't understand what the word "atheist" means. At the very least, this anomaly strongly suggests that the results of this survey should not be taken too seriously.

Agreed! Atheist defines the lack of belief. Why start a thread on this? Too prove that, as FD said, some theists are (my emphasis) SOOOOOOO stupid they don't understand what the word atheist means?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why start a thread on this? Too prove that, as FD said, some theists are (my emphasis) SOOOOOOO stupid they don't understand what the word atheist means?

I dunno. Probably the same reason that all those threads that get started that talk about how stupid Christians are.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bts

'There is no evidence of fields of any kind pre Big Bang.'

Actually, there is. Scientists have determined that the universe is anisotropic. They suggest that this lopsidedness may have resulted from something preexisting our universe. You can read about it here http://cosmicvariance.com/2008/06/08/the-lopsided-universe/ . As well, scientists are working on explorations into other conditions that may have preexisted the 'bigbang'.

S

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I don't know about that, but half of people are below average - and the average is not that great.

Not necessarily true, but you do use a common misunderstanding of averages. Consider this simplified case involving weights. Take 10 people, and let's say that 9 of those people weigh 100 pounds. The 10th person, however, weighs only 65 pounds. Thus, the average weight is 96.5 pounds. As you can clearly see, 9 of the ten people weigh more than average. Only 1 of the 10 is below average.

Carry on.

• besty
    besty
    Not necessarily true, but you do use a common misunderstanding of averages. Consider this simplified case involving weights. Take 10 people, and let's say that 9 of those people weigh 100 pounds. The 10th person, however, weighs only 65 pounds. Thus, the average weight is 96.5 pounds. As you can clearly see, 9 of the ten people weigh more than average. Only 1 of the 10 is below average

Interesting if we were discussing a population of 10, 9 of whom weighed the same.

Not so interesting as we are discussing a classic bell curve distribution of intelligence across the entire human race.

There are more interesting points in this survey, such as who are the 16% of JW's that think many religions can lead to salvation. LOL

The headline 21% mentioned in the subject line are composed of belief in a personal God (6%), impersonal force (12%) and don't know/other (3%).

I venture that the 6% of 'atheists' who believe in a personal god are not normally allowed out on their own, except on Sundays to go to Church of course.

• Satanus
    Satanus

6% stated, 'i are ateist'.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit