Has Anybody Here Converted to Judaism?

by Robdar 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Robdar
    Robdar

Satanus:

I can understand why people would be tempted into judaism. Jews are very clever and generally succeed at what they do. However, seeing what judaism has generated: christianity, islam, communism, middle eastern conflicts, i don't think that conversion to it is really a progressive step. It's more a seduction than a conversion.

Huh?

Thanks for your opinion but perhaps you should check Judaism out (not just read about it) before you make such a statement.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's ok to slam catholicism, general christianity, the jewish god which all of christianity and islam also claim to worship/serve. But, judaism is the one religion that it is taboo to criticise on pain of the antisemitism charge.

Bts

Check out your history on the origins of communism, and it's growth.

Robdar

A few yrs ago, i did check out cabala. I admit that i am not current on judaism. I have kind of lost interest in religions, generally. I think i do understand how/why you get interested, as i remember your post of some time ago. That it does it for you, is the main thing, i guess. Good luck.

S

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Robyn, Back in 1989 I got engaged to a Jewish woman. She was Conservative so we kept Kosher, observed the Sabbath, and I took the Jewish Living classes that were conducted by her Rabbi. I didn't convert though. Being Episcopalian I was used to an individual relationship with God and more freedoms of choice that Conservative Judaism didn't allow. Judaism is more of a community faith. Also I wasn't enthusiastic about ritual circumcision, which would have been necessary for me to complete the conversion process. Perhaps if my fiancee had been Reform things would have been different. Actually we attended the Reform temple a few times, which I liked but she didn't. In Reform you only have to keep Kosher during High Holy Days and circumcision isn't required. My slowness in converting affected our relationship and we eventually separated. Though Judaism isn't for me this doesn't mean that things won't work out for you. I have several friends who converted and are very happy. Regarding the Mikvah this ritual is done in the nude. However, it is a private affair and you are in the pool by yourself, no one else is in the room. It is between you and God.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I've noticed many similarities of Judaism to the Catholic and Greek Orthodox ceremonies. I can definitely tell there is a connection.

There is. During my final times in the JWs, I first attended a local synagogue before I ever set foot in a Catholic Church. The Mass/Sacred Liturgy is derived from the synagogue liturgy of the 1st century. What a beautiful liturgy the Jews have. Catholics consider Jews their "older brothers".

http://books.google.com/books?id=5E9cqHh7CjEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=salvation+is+from+the+jews&sig=ACfU3U2Z3CrLuV-loLlIzlGp2-ucb3VT2A

I will talk more about myself and my own choices tommorrow, if you like.

Cheers,

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Check out your history on the origins of communism, and it's growth

Sorry buddy, you made the accusation, you supply the proof.

Cheers

BTS

• Robdar
    Robdar

Rohag:

Kol tuv l'kha u'v'hatzlachah, chaver! All the best to you and success, friend!

Hey, now when certain people come knocking at your door, you can say, "I belong to the original JWs."

Good idea! Heheee.

• Robdar
    Robdar

BTS:

I will talk more about myself and my own choices tommorrow, if you like.

I would like that very much.

• Robdar
    Robdar

S:

A few yrs ago, i did check out cabala. I admit that i am not current on judaism. I have kind of lost interest in religions, generally. I think i do understand how/why you get interested, as i remember your post of some time ago. That it does it for you, is the main thing, i guess. Good luck.

See, that's just it. I had lost interest in religion also. I appreciated what I had read about Judiasm but not to the point of joining.

It just so happens that there wasn't much new at the library that I wanted to read when I found the book on Kabala. I started reading it and got a tingle. The more I read, the more excited I got. Then I went to Shabbat services one Friday night. It touched me. It was such a magnificent feeling-- warm, sweet, tranquil. It was so good I went back the following Friday and have been going ever since. After feeling what I felt, I do believe in the world to come. I wish others could find this joy also.

Satanus, thank you for responding to this thread. I used to love the conversations we would have. I regret that tiff from a few years ago and hope that you have forgiven me.

And, if you are still seeking, I hope you will find what you need and desire.

• Mary
    Mary
    Robdar said: One of the things that attracts me to Judaism is that you are required to question the faith, to talk about it, to challenge it. A Jew cannot tell another Jew how to think, at least not in the liberal movement. It is up to each Jew to find their own unique way of showing God's light. How cool is that?

Bingo. I was amazed to discover that there's no 'centralized Jewish religion' like the Witnesses have. While they basically believe many of the same things, they are certainly not obligated to agree with the Rabbi for fear of being taken outside the city gate and stoned to death.

I've actually witnessed 3 or 4 Jewish scholars go at it and it's quite amazing really. Each one of them challenges the others' views, points out where they think they're wrong, citing scripture, explaining the original meaning of words in Ancient Hebrew, etc. It's so completely different than what we were taught as Witnesses where everything is: do not question us, you are not allowed to have any opinion beyond ours. The Governing Body members are most likely the originators of:

Rule #1: We're always right.

Rule #2: If we're proven wrong, see Rule #1.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'I used to love the conversations we would have. I regret that tiff from a few years ago and hope that you have forgiven me.'

It was hardly a tiff. I have no hard feelings about it at all.

'And, if you are still seeking, I hope you will find what you need and desire.'

I'm not a seeker, anymore. I have found, or should i say seen/experienced. Meditation, you know. Thanks, so much.

S

Ps, this is a nice thread. I'm thinking of turning down bts challenge...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit