Has Anybody Here Converted to Judaism?

by Robdar 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Robdar
    Robdar

I've studied many religions since I left the JWs. I've flirted with a few and have actually thought about joining, but in the end I didn't because it didn't feel right--it didn't resonate with me.

In 2001, the year I discovered this forum, I started reading Judaism 101 and really enjoyed it. Some of the ideas and philosophies struck a chord with me and I would find myself thinking about life in a way that Christianity had never taught me.

About 2 months ago, I picked up a book on Judaism at the library and from the moment I opened it, it touched me in a way that no other religion ever has. I am now going to temple, I am enrolled in a conversion class, I am learnig Hebrew, and I am loving it.

Has anybody else discovered this wonderful religion of light and reason? If so, I would love to hear your story.

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad. Baruch shem k'vod malchuto l'olam va'ed.

• blondie
    blondie

I do believe moshe converted to Judaism.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Moshe is a poster? Wonder how I've missed him. It might help if I came here more often, I guess.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I considered it many times, until I realized it was the gefilte fish I was attracted to, oy.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Are you serious? As a woman I am affronted by the separation and adoration of men in the Jewish belief system. Any group that is dictated to on what to wear, eat, act, recite repetitive prayers, avoid marriage to "non-believers", wear ringlets, pubic haired beards, adore certain objects is all a giant red flag of "MAN MADE". "Tradition" or "Custom" is an evasive excuse of personal responsibility and ties you to a non-thinking mindset. I am very happy for your new path and I hope the honeymoon lasts forever.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I considered it many times, until I realized it was the gefilte fish I was attracted to, oy.

Oy!

Are you serious? As a woman I am affronted by the separation and adoration of men in the Jewish belief system. Any group that is dictated to on what to wear, eat, act, recite repetitive prayers, avoid marriage to "non-believers", wear ringlets, pubic haired beards, adore certain objects is all a giant red flag of "MAN MADE". "Tradition" or "Custom" is an evasive excuse of personal responsibility and ties you to a non-thinking mindset. I am very happy for your new path and I hope the honeymoon lasts forever.

With all due respect, you haven't a clue about Judaism. Especially the liberal movements, Conservative and Reform, where women are equal with the same rights and opportunities of the men. You must be thinking about the Orthodox. And btw, the reason the Orthodox MEN have to recite repetitive prayers, etc, is because they are the ones that forced Aaron to make the golden calf. Women didn't and they are not under the same requirements. Thank you for being happy with my new path. I hope you will find yours.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I've studied many religions since I left the JWs. I've flirted with a few and have actually thought about joining, but in the end I didn't because it didn't feel right--it didn't resonate with me.

In 2001, the year I discovered this forum, I started reading Judaism 101 and really enjoyed it. Some of the ideas and philosophies struck a chord with me and I would find myself thinking about life in a way that Christianity had never taught me.

About 2 months ago, I picked up a book on Judaism at the library and from the moment I opened it, it touched me in a way that no other religion ever has. I am now going to temple, I am enrolled in a conversion class, I am learnig Hebrew, and I am loving it.

Has anybody else discovered this wonderful religion of light and reason? If so, I would love to hear your story.

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad. Baruch shem k'vod malchuto l'olam va'ed.

Moshe converted to Judaism. I am unsure which branch.

Judaism IS wonderful. Me, I love it. I have Jewish family and have Jewish heritage. My best friends in real life are Reformed Jews. However, I am a big fan of the SuperJew, Yeshua. So I am going into Catholicism instead. Otherwise, I would convert to Judaism.

If you ever want to read a fascinating book on the history of Jews:

http://www.amazon.com/Jews-God-History-Revised-Updated/dp/0451628667

Shalom on your journey.

• Mary
    Mary
    As a woman I am affronted by the separation and adoration of men in the Jewish belief system. Any group that is dictated to on what to wear, eat, act, recite repetitive prayers, avoid marriage to "non-believers", wear ringlets, pubic haired beards, adore certain objects is all a giant red flag of "MAN MADE". "Tradition" or "Custom" is an evasive excuse of personal responsibility and ties you to a non-thinking mindset.

Actually, you're combining Conservative, Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Judaism practices and lumping them all in together. I work closely with several Jews, some of them Orthodox, and it is not anywhere near as oppressive as being a Dub. No one excecpt the Ultra-Orthodox (and some Orthodox) Jews wear the beards. I was surprised to discover that their 'man-made traditions' (as was drilled into our brains as Witnesses), are voluntary and they do not practice "disfellowshipping" for any offense. Here's a good example: One of my co-workers is an Orthodox Jew and yet she's attended Christmas parties at work. I asked her last year if she would be in trouble if the Rabbi found out about it or her fellow Jews. Would she be excommunicated? She looked at me as though I were nuts and said "of course not.....I have many friends who are not Jewish. They invited me to the Christmas party and I went. No big deal."

She was stunned when I told her that that would be a disfellowshipping offense amongst the Witnesses. What about eating kosher? Well, that's entirely up to the individual as to how far they want to go with it. The point is: there's no gestapo standing over your shoulder waiting for you to screw up so they can haul your ass before a 3-man kangaroo court and cut you off from all your family and friends. It just doesn't happen.

I think there is alot of beauty in Judaism and I have alot of respect for them.....

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Jewish Mysticism > Jewish (standard?!)

I have recently studied some of the Kabballah basics.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Thanks for the posts everybody. I'm off to the office and hope to talk with you all later.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit