Paul Newman takes a few last laps -

by james_woods 26 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Paul will be the last of a few.... I hope he lives till he's ready to go on his terms.

God Bless

Jeff

• beksbks
    beksbks

He was definately one of the good guys. In all he did. One of my favorite quotes from him, was one regarding other women.

"Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?"
  • james_woods
    james_woods

That was the real man, bekbsks - here is a sample of why we loved him as an actor:

Why,…this whole country is run on epidemics,…where you been? Epidemics of big business, price fixin’, crooked TV shows, income tax fenaglin’, souped up expense accounts,…how many honest men you know? You take the sinners away from the saints and you’re lucky to end up with Abraham Lincoln. Well I say lets us put our bread in some of that gravy while it is still hot………………………….

“You're an unprincipled man Hud.”

And here is what another real racing driver said about him on the track:

Mario Andretti said once that if Paul Newman had become a racing driver in his teens or 20's, you probably never would have heard of Mario Andretti

Yes, that Mario Andretti...

• abbagail
    abbagail

He was a hunk! And love his FIG NEWMANS cookies!

---------

Willy... you're blowing me back in time when you wrote: "I flashed back to "Vanishing Point" with Barry Newman..."

OMG! I haven't thought of that movie in eons. There were a few movies that left a deep disturbing impression on me and that was one of them. I was still fairly young then, probably in my late teens, and that movie just left me feeling so disturbed... I couldn't believe that guy drove his car into that bulldozer or whatever it was... it was such a SHOCK to my whole system. That was back before SHOCK VALUE was the "everday" big ticket seller.

Yup, I was right... I was right out of high school:

Vanishing Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Vanishing Point is a 1971 road movie starring Barry Newman, Cleavon Little, ... Vanishing Point is notable for its scenery from filming locations across the ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_Point

Not to hijack the thread, but the other movie that disturbed me greatly was "Walking Tall" (the FIRST movie, not the later one with Rock what's his name, not Hudson, but the newer guy)... and "Billy Jack"!

---------

I wish people who get cancer would immediately go on a complete water fast... it's the only way to get rid of the big C fast... (unless you catch it waaaaaaaaaay toooo late). Otherwise, it's the great healer.

Blessings to Paul Newman and Family.
    /ag

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Remember that great, under-appreciated role he did in Nobody's Fool? He had such great chemistry with Melanie Griffith even though the two of them never even touched (if I remember correctly).

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

About ten years ago, as a nurse, my wife worked for a charity (l'Envol, taking off) which was financed by Paul Newman, located in a chateau about 30 miles off Paris, in the countryside. In that chateau, low social condition children affected by incurable illnesses were given an opportunity to spend a free (fortnight, I think) holiday. Kudos, Paul.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Paul Newman is Aces

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit