Paul Newman takes a few last laps -

by james_woods 26 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

I just thought some might like to know the latest about actor and racing driver Paul Newman -

Lime Rock Park racetrack was closed down for about an hour and a half today so that he could take a few last laps in his GT1 Corvette.

Newman has incurable cancer and is not expected to live much past September.

There were not many like him.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Cancer? Huh... a lot of good all that organic food did him.

He'll be missed.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Thank you for the tribute.

Paul Newman is my favorite all time actor.

Married for ever and coping with the suicide of his son he has donated more than any other actor to charities.

He gave away more than he kept.

He only drank beer and was Mr cool. We all run out of time but what a guy!

• dobbie
    dobbie

that's really sad. I didn't know he was a racing driver as well.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Newman, Steve McQueen, and James Garner were considered to be the real racing drivers of the acting world. There were others who were just considered posers.

Newman was also a racing team owner - Newman-Haas Racing, if anybody follows Indy Cars.

He recently gave one of his lifelong friends his latest Ferrari - the super expensive 599 V12 model. There are rumors that his children were complaining about this - I think I would have shut up instead.

BTW, those Salad Dressing and other food products that he produced were all done for various charities - he kept nothing from the profits.

Of the many great movies he did, I think I would have to rank "The Hustler" as my favorite.

• Gregor
    Gregor

He WAS Cool Hand Luke. Another old time real movie star like Heston who did it right.

• megs
    megs

I seldom use this word, but Paul Newman has class with a capital "C". If one must look up to a celebrity, few can shine a candle to him. Married to the same woman for 50 years, gives so generously to charity, politically active etc etc. It's very sad to think he won't be with us.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Class act he is.

I remember in an interview he was asked how their marriage was so good when they had such diverse interests.

He said, "I trade a few car races for a few ballets."

• Dagney
    Dagney

Class act he is.

I remember in an interview he was asked how their marriage was so good when they had such diverse interests.

He said, "I trade a few car races for a few ballets."

• undercover
    undercover

Newman, Steve McQueen, and James Garner were considered to be the real racing drivers of the acting world. There were others who were just considered posers.

Newman was also a racing team owner - Newman-Haas Racing, if anybody follows Indy Cars.

Three of my favorite "cool-guy" actors...

But it was funny when I first read Newman without the Paul in front of it, I flashed back to "Vanishing Point" with Barry Newman...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit