Paul Newman takes a few last laps -

by james_woods 26 Replies latest jw friends

• dawg
    dawg

I love Paul Newman... my favorite actor by far. "Cool hand like" one of my favorite movies of all time. I will really moss his work...

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Someone gave me this name a while ago. I love Paul Newman. I loved his character. Watching that movie did wonders for my mind. It helped me to understand that no one can chain your mind if you don't let them.

• dinah
    dinah

Damn, I hate to hear that.

CHL, your name always made me think of that movie. You a'right in my book.

• dawg
    dawg

A man from Colorado who understands Southern Movies, and believe me, this movie is as Southern as a movie can get.... well,that's a good man in my book! Good job cool hand Luke!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Great guy on many counts.

coping with the suicide of his son

BTW, it was an accidental drug overdose. Newman once said that the guilt would be with him forever that he was not able to emotionally reach his son and prevent it.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, I'm really sorry to hear that. He seems like a nice guy who has done a lot for others in his life time. I'm glad people value him enough to let him do that. By the way, I read recently that Patrick Swayze is recovering from cancer. He looked pretty bad for a while. Another actor who seems like a nice person.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Paul Newman used to frequent my neck of the woods years ago. He raced at Nelson Ledges and stayed at my best friend's uncle's motel. She waited on him at G & W Drive In. She said he was very friendly and down to earth and just laughed off all of the women swooning around him. How cool!

• golf2
    golf2

Very sad about his condirion. I'm a fan.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Reminds me of a story:

A JW friend of mine (when I was still in) was an HVAC man and one day he was called to a house in northeastern Connecticut to do a repair. He knocked on the door and Paul Newman answered it. My friend said, "Hey - you're Paul Newman!" Newman looked around at his wife (Joanne Woodward) and said, "Hey, honey - I'm Paul Newman!"

Newman then talked my friend into doing some charity work at the Hole in the Wall Gang camp for handicapped kids, which was located nearby.

• james_woods
    james_woods

NeonMadman - I put that up (less the JW part) on the Ferrari club tribute page they have for him. There are four pages there, at least 70% of them are about stories just like yours - what an humble and nice person he is, what a great sense of humor and sense of community service he had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit