Things you are now embarrassed you disclosed on jwd

by rebel8 37 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

What are some things you posted here that you are now embarrassed about? Here's a classic. It totally brought down a funny thread, and totally embarrassed me because others' reactions made me realize how dysfunctional my childhood was. I remember wanting so badly to delete the post, but it was too late, everyone had read it.

I don't know about the nether regions, but I do know I was not ever allowed to shave anywhere as a JW. This was my mother's rule. She would not allow anything that would signify I was getting older (and therefore soon to be independent of her) or anything that in her warped mind would make me look more appealing. My cong was especially strict, but my mother was even stricter.

No underpants that weren't as big as a house--I had the kind that actually came almost to my chest. No shaving your armpits or legs (totally, totally gross and humiliating). No wearing makeup, including lip gloss. No using tampons (that would make me not a virgin, ya know). No deoderant. No acne medication. No wearing a bra (also gross--I was way overdue for a bra). I wore 3 shirts to cover up my bralessness and the armpit hair. I remember one district convention in particular where I wore flannel blouses and 2 undershirts, but it was still obvious I didn't have the proper foundation equipment. The top shirt had to be a dark color because white would show the hair. I wonder why on earth no one counseled my mother about it.

So I snuck deoderant, razors, tampons, and some makeup. Couldn't get a hold of medicine for my really, really bad case of acne, so I used rubbing alcohol. Of course I wasn't allowed to keep any of my own $ (even tho I earned it babysitting), so it was not possible for me to save enough for a bra. I finally talked her into it by getting my jw friend's mother to talk to mine. She made the shopping trip into a big humiliating scene and made fun of me for months for needing a bra. To my mother, puberty and anything smacking of me getting older was a personal insult to her, one that I did on purpose. Those stupid Youth books and talks from the platform that were so anti-children made it a lot worse.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Rebel8 Good to see you here. I dont regret posting anything, of course I am completely free and really dont care.

It did take me 2 years to get to this point tho.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I regret things that I have posted on JWD, but such as life, we may regret what we say sometimes, but you never know who you might have helped...I know that I do not post often (I went in spurts), I read more than anything, and I cannot tell all those people thanks! They don't know me...but I never reached out enough...so many here by what they posted made me stronger...

Nikki

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I'm not embarrassed about any of my posts, and I don't think you should be embarrassed about yours. I think it was sad. What a horrible way to enter womanhood!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Rebel,

That is quite a revealing post. It is posts like that which keep me coming back.

Thanks for not being too embarassed to repost the thread.

To answer your questions, I don't think I said anyting quite as personal as what you wrote and have never been embarassed for what I wrote.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, there was that time that Hillary_Step called me a redneck Texas hick, I without even thinking I disclosed the East Texas methodology for collecting and cooking road-killed nutria.

I guess the board will be long gone before anyone can provoke me into revealing the Oklahoma recipe for Possum Fricasee.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Rebel,

I thoroughly enjoyed this old post that you are so embarrassed about. Boy, your family was worse than mine (but mine weren't JWs, but Catholic).

I also heard the old wives' tale about how you shouldn't use tampons (ha, ha). I liked your story about going to buy a bra and how humiliating an experience it was. I remember such humiliations. As long as I was living home, when I needed to buy clothing my father insisted I come out of the dressing room with the dress on so he could approve. He either gave a thumbs up or thumbs down. Usually it was a thumbs down!

LHG

• rebel8
    rebel8

I remember being on a bus trip to Bethel some time around age 14. I used a lip gloss. My mother made me wipe it off because it had a teeny bit of tint in it.

I guess those horny Bethelites would have been stumbled to see a pimply, hairy, sweaty girl wearing four size 6x undershirts, a flannel shirt, Dr. Pepper lip gloss, and thick maxi pads that rustled when she walked.

I don't know why but I am finding this all immensely hilarious right now. My stomach hurts from surgery still and it is not good to laugh this hard, but I am!

Oh come on, I'm not the only one who regrets posting something, I hope.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No embarrassment here. I revealed a few things, but nothing of the sort that I truly regret.

Nice idea for a thread though, rebel. Sounds like most of what your mom prevented you was a combination of Jwism and general ignorance and intentional sheltering of you. I imagine that many folks have similar experiences from outside the Jw ranks.

Jeff

• avishai
    avishai

Too many to mention, I had way too much of the angry a few years back. A lot of my stuff came out downright hostile

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit