Huge Explosion in Toronto

by Nosferatu 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=8ef01ab5-9b21-4027-868b-efa6ea63fdc4

Picture here:

http://wuntvor.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/7c/7c72bfd85fa2318b8c58a25e3c8960e68acde0b2.jpg

Toronto rocked by several explosions, police expect many injuries

Tobin Dalrymple and Becky Rynor, Canwest News Service
    Published: Sunday, August 10, 2008
    More On This Story

Photos from locals

YouTube video of explosion
    Story Tools

Change font size

Print this story

E-Mail this story
    Share This Story

Facebook

Digg

Stumble Upon

More

Story tools presented by

National Post / Sarah Millar

Thousand of residents have been evacuated from homes and businesses while a section of Canada's busiest highway has been closed following a series of massive explosions in a suburban Toronto neighbourhood early Sunday.

"They're evacuating the area so I think they're worried about another explosion," said a civilian Toronto police spokesman. "Maybe they're worried something on site is going to blow, and if it is, it may be bigger than what was there already. So they're being extra careful."

At around 4 a.m., several large explosions erupted from the Sunrise Propane facility in North York on Wilson Ave.

Police said the company stores and distributes a number of highly flammable welding supplies and gases such as acetylene, argon, nitrogen, propane and oxygen which police say is "highly explosive." The cause of the explosion has not been determined.

In a news conference Sunday morning, Emergency Services spokesman Peter MacIntyre said only one person has been taken to hospital with a minor ankle injury received while evacuating his home.

"We've treated some minor injuries at the scene," he said. "Other than this one individual, we have not transported anyone else. It's people we have treated for minor cuts and bruises. We have notified all the area hospitals so they are on standby. They are aware that they could be having an influx of patients and many people will choose to go to the hospital on their own."

Police say the situation remains highly volatile as they attempt to cool two large rail car tanks to prevent further explosions.

Highway 401 has been closed from Finch Ave. to the north, Jane St. to the west, Bathurst Ave. to the east and Lawrence Ave. to the south.

"It's a pretty big area," the police spokesman said. "Probably about a three kilometre radius."

Police have also established a "no fly zone," for the area.

A combined effort between fire fighters, Toronto and provincial police, and special emergency response crews have set up a one-kilometre perimeter around the source of the blast and are in the process of evacuating homes.

No injuries or fatalities have yet been confirmed, but police expect there will be many. Toronto EMS duty officer David Viljak said officials have received reports of "casualties" but can't confirm them because the victims are "inside the hot zone" and behind the barricade.

A police officer said he had heard reports of two injuries from the scene, but none had been officially confirmed as of 7:30 a.m.

"I'm sure there's gonna be a lot (of injuries)," said the Toronto police officer, who would not give his name. "It was a big bang."

Less than three hours after the blasts, a Holiday Inn Hotel in the immediate area was busy taking in dozens of people who had been evacuated from their homes or businesses. Other hotels nearby said they would also be opening their doors to people throughout the day.

Huge billows of dark smoke could be seen from the area of the blast. Several images of the explosions, and videos of the fireballs going off were posted online soon after they occurred.

"It's a pretty large fire, looks like a seven-alarm fire, and it's still burning," the police officer said.

"We are two miles away here, and we could feel it (the initial explosions)," said Viljak.

Several police officers, fire crews and emergency crews are on site, investigating the blast and trying to keep people out of the danger zone. Police have set up a command post to co-ordinate the emergency response.

Some witnesses described the blasts as feeling like an earthquake and causing buildings to shake. Reports from media say that up to 40-60 blasts were heard.

Traffic in the area of the blasts, near the Keele St. and Wilson Ave. intersection, has been shut down and power to the area has been cut.

Toronto police have been stationed on every corner in the area, but in some cases were unable to tell confused residents what was happening or even if they should evacuate.

People on the scene report that there was one large explosion, followed by several smaller blasts. Area residents said that windows closer to the epicentre of the blaze had their windows shattered by the initial blast.

TTC shuttle buses are removing residents from the area, though locals don't know if a general evacuation order has been given. Residents also report the neighbourhood is the site of several seniors residences.

Local radio reports from 680 News said it has been flooded with hundreds of calls from listeners who had heard the series of explosions.

There was "a huge ball of fire with huge bangs or booms" one reader told 680 news, also describing "pieces of debris being shot into the air."

• Nosferatu
  • Velvetann
    Velvetann

Hi

I used to live in Toronto, I know that area, its close to Yorkdale Mall. I didn't hear about this until you posted it. Thats huge and scarey. There is a very dense population in that area too.

I now live 2 hours from there in a peaceful small town, much safer I think

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Sorry when I first saw your post the video didn't show up, now I see you have a great video of the explosion, I will try and edit my last post

Velvet

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

bump

News reports are finally coming in

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/10/propane-fire.html

=============================================================

Massive fire at Toronto propane depot forces thousands to flee
    Highway 401 shut in both directions, 3 subway stations closed
    Last Updated: Sunday, August 10, 2008 | 10:28 AM ET Comments23Recommend277

Thousands of people fled their homes in a residential neighbourhood of Toronto early Sunday following a series of explosions and a massive fire at a propane depot.

Police report at least two injuries involving people hit by broken glass and fiery debris that shot into the air after the initial blast, just before 4 a.m. ET.

One man lost his balance and fell while running from the scene, where a huge fireball lit up the sky. Tony Testa said he suffered burns to his back from falling debris.

Officers brought in buses to take residents out of the area after the multiple explosions began.

A fire official said people living in a 1.6-kilometre radius have been forced out of their homes. Many were taken to the nearby Yorkdale Shopping Centre.
    Map of the evacuation area, near Keele St. and Wilson Ave., northwest Toronto. CBC-TV

The first explosion, which could be heard seven kilometres away, shook nearby homes and buildings, waking residents.

One resident living across the street from the Sunrise Propane Industrial Gases facility in the area of Keele Street and Wilson Avenue said the blast blew out all the windows at his home.

Testa said his house appeared to shift and one of his solid wooden doors is in pieces. A number of witnesses reported seeing houses on fire and propane tanks falling from the sky.

The six-alarm fire sent clouds of thick smoke hundreds of metres into the air. More than 130 firefighters were sent to battle the blaze.
    Risk of tankers exploding

Two propane tankers were still parked at the scene several hours after the explosions. Firefighters were spraying water on them to prevent further explosions.

The tankers have the capacity to hold about 220,000 litres of propane, police said.

Regular commercial air traffic is moving in and out of Pearson International Airport, but smaller, privately owned aircraft have been restricted from flying over the affected area, said Trish Krale, spokeswoman for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.

Air testing showed initial concern that the fiery blast had turned the air toxic was unfounded, a fire official said.

As a precaution, police have closed a 16-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 between Highway 400 and the Don Valley Parkway.

Ontario Provincial Police spokesman Sgt. Cam Wooley said he has never seen such a large stretch of the highway closed.

The Downsview, Yorkdale, Wilson subway stations have also been closed.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

I guess Toronto is not of interest to people???

This is a big city and that area is very densely populated with heavy traffic. I used to hate driving in that area. Its really fortunate that it happened at 4 AM and not 4 PM.

Velvet

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Wow, that's scary! I used to live in TO as well, not far from there!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I didn't hear about it until about 9 this morning. I live in the east end of Toronto, and was peacefully slumbering when it happened. I used to live in that area though, and used to attend a 3 hall kingdom hall complex there. The complex is just a couple of blocks outside the area that was evacuated. I wonder if they cancelled the meetings.

W

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

That is scary, sure is hard on people to evacuate on short notice... Should be on the National already....will have to flip the tv on... h40

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

i smell conspiracy somewhere ... goverment sponsored terror/false flag terror ... yes, my tin foil hat is on correctly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit