Does cain get a bad rap???

by darth frosty 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Like many such tales it has many layers. At one level it is an etiological fable on the origin of malice and murder, comparable to similar stories throughout most cultures. At another level it depicts the cultural conflict between agrarian city dwellers and tent-dwelling pastoralists (see the story of Shechem in Genesis 34 for another story on this theme). At another level, it presents the legendary origins of the Kenites (whose ancestor was Cain, cf. Numbers 24:21-22). You can find similar multi-layering in other tales, such as the preceding Eden narrative which seems to have as many layers as an onion (including an etiology of the maturation cycle from childhood to adulthood and what seems to be a polemic against the goddess Asherah).

• darth frosty
  • just n from bethel
  • cameo-d
    cameo-d

Recently read in the Jewish Encyclopedia that Cain was not the offspring of Adam and Eve and that Seth was actually their only child together. No mention of Able at all.

You might be interested in reading up on "Serpent Seed".

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

It is clear that Jehovah is not pleased until living creatures suffer and die and blood is being spilled in his name. After seeing Abel being praised for slaughtering innocent young lambs, Cain wised up and started spilling blood himself.

You better not kill one of Cain's descendants, when God finds out he is not just going to kill you at Armageddon, no, he's going to kill you seven times!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Cain wised up and started spilling blood himself.

This is the real meaning of what it means to "eat" blood. WT has mistranslated it. To cause bloodshed or to profit from bloodshed is what is meant by the scripture they are misinterpreting as to "eat" blood.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Cain is a fictional character.

Because if he IS real, and if the belief we all came from Adam and Eve is real, then this guy had to marry and have sex with his sister ... and that's just WRONG!

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's all allegory. Cain represents agriculture-man and Abel represents the hunter-gatherer. This is why Cain kills Abel, it symbolizes the change from hunter-gatherer to civilization, which started with agriculture.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

What about Esau?

Did God "hate" him, condemning him to an eternity in Hell?

Romans 9:13 (King James Version)

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Interesting scripture, leavingwt. When I was little, my Mom told me hate came from Satan. And that I should never 'hate' anything. Strongly dislike was ok, but not hate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit