Does cain get a bad rap???

by darth frosty 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

This is kinda along the lines of my favorite who told the real lie in gen 3.

I was watching the movie 'the bible' the other night (couldn't sleep.) I was looking at its depiction of cain and thought cain is being pigeoned holed. Now I am not condoning murder and the actions of cains rage. But it seems that he was driven unfairly by outside sources.

The bible tells us that Cain became a cultivator of the soil and abel a herder of sheep. Now they were still eating the food of the land a basic vegetarian diet. If this is the case cain was the principle bread winner. Also god had cursed the land so this made cains efforts that much more of a toil. Meanwhile able tended his sheep and what do sheep eat?

Gen 4:3 tells us that it was cain who proceeded to bring some fruits of the ground as an offering. Than Able got some of the firstlings of his flock, fed presumably on the harvest of his older brother. As we know god looked with favor on able and his offering and basically snubbed Cain's.

Now the WT has read alot into this account about heart condition and the character of cain. But if you just read the account of its on merit you have to wonder why God dissed cain. Here is a man who not only worked hard for the survival of the young human family, he chose the harshest of occupation trying to reap food from a cursed earth. After he mastered this occupation he was the one who initiated the sacrifice, while his brother followed his lead.

After all of this his efforts were spurned for no good reason. Its no wonder his countenance had fallen. Again in no way do I condone his actions after this, I just question how he was manipulated into this situation for no good reason.

Whelp I guess this is my last topic started here. Its been fun and Enlightning thanks for listning to my rants and so called epiphanies.

Karl

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

I don't think Cain was producing food for Abels sheep but there could have been some. You have to think sheep make wool and you can make clothes ,blankets and other things so there was i'm sure some sort of trade.

Sheep graze on grass in the feilds so i think abel just took his sheep to different fields to feed them.

I think it had to do with his attitude and jealousy toward abel and he new Jehovah liked him better so he became jealous and said i will get rid of the competition.

Same thing happens today you see it all the time.

Number1Anarchist

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Even if we pretend that these events actually happened, it's a bit odd. Abel was allegedly farming sheep, even though people supposedly weren't eating meat yet, if we're to believe the fable of Genesis chapter 9. So apparently he's farming only for the purpose of wool, and the odd lambskin rug, (and maybe car seat covers), and they just let the meat rot (otherwise burning them would be commonplace, invalidating any 'sacrifice'). And so when he sees his brother burn some fruit and veg for the sky god, he decides that his bloodthirsty god would like him to burn some sheep as well - keeping in mind that these supposedly weren't even viewed as food at the time. And if he skinned the sheep first, it isn't much of a sacrifice anyway.

The story was obviously written as a fable to be viewed as a fore-runner to the wasteful air-polluting sacrifices by the primitive Jewish priesthood.

Verses 15 and 24 of chapter 4 are also bombastically stupid.

(I also do not condone the actions of Darth Vader or the Wicked Witch of the West.)

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Thanks for the replies.

I of course condone all actions of lord vader...at least from the sacred original trilogy

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

You presume quite a bit in your explanation. Cain was a farmer because....Well, you don't know. He just was. Several other things. Everyone has a place in the family. Cain wasn't "better" than Abel. He wasn't the principal earner. He just did his job. Remember, just as I can grab fruit from trees and bushes now, Abel could, too. He would not starve if Cain didn't do his thing. Sheep graze on grass, and therefore Abel did not need Cain's farming skills for this. Your presumption that Abel was simply aping Cain's sacrifice was just that -- a presumption. No hard feelings.

Anyway:

Bottom line - Cain needed an attitude adjustment, and he chose to adjust his brother's skull instead.

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Sheep not only like grass, but they LOVE weeds. They prefer them.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Darth, the 2 guys in my avatar can beat Vader with one thumb!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Octarian prince of course I presume a lot, so do you. You seem to presume I actually believe the bible. My presumption is based on this scripture: Gen 3: 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

I was always led to believe that the only habitable spot in the young world of the opening chapters of genesis was the garden of eden. Outside of this garden was a barren wasteland. While sheep eat grass based on these versus even grass wasn't initially available. While most of us have probably struggled to have a nice lush lawn, even a weedy crappy one does not just sprout by itself.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Did you ever asked why Cain was "cursed to be a 'wanderer' and yet he established the first city?

Doesn't seem like the life of a nomad, does it?

Did you ever ask why he was rewarded with protection for murder instead of punished?

BTW, I answered your other question (why did god dis cain's sacrifice?) on this link: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/165196/3059983/post.ashx#3059983

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

if there were few people (between 4 and maybe 25). Why did Cain need a mark so he could be identified?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit