What new fruits/veggies/foods have you tried? We tried Pepino Melon...yum!

by FreedomFrog 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

How far was the closest Kingdom Hall?

• anewme
    anewme

Good discussion! I am three weeks into vegetarianism (trying to lose weight, lower my blood pressure, and feel better about not eating wee creatures) I also read that cancer does not grow in a body on a low protein diet. Many cancer patients are put on low protein diets. I thought maybe we are eating too much protein when we digest pounds and pounds of dead animals.

I will keep reading your posts about all the fruits and veggies there are to keep one happy!

And I will try some new ones!!!

Thanks!

Anewme

• StAnn
    StAnn

Anewme, sorry but I just love my dead animals. I've tried vegetarianism and I have one vegetarian day a week but I just can't give up meat. Love it, love it, love it.

Re: Jungle Jim's. It's a good 20-25 minutes from my house to Jungle Jim's, so once a month I go to GFS (which is south of JJ) and stock up, go to the Wonder Bakery Outlet store (which is between GFS and JJ) and buy 20 loves of whole wheat bread, and then hit Jungle Jim's on the way back. First, I go to Aldi's, which is my favorite store. What I don't like about Jungle Jim's is that it's so big, if you miss something on your list, you might have to walk a mile to backtrack and find it. Wears me out.

I lost my youngest son there one day and just about had a heart attack. Thought I'd never find him. He was in the wine section, looking around.

FF, your experience doesn't sound so far removed from my childhood. However, we were not impoverished. I just have a dad with an attitude who wanted us to live the authentic farm experience. We had pawpaw trees in our woods. I'd forgotten about pawpaws. We had a farm in Preble County, Ohio.

StAnn

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

JG

It was about 45mins to an hour because the only Kingdom Hall was in Waverly...still is I believe. I can go on all day about my life growing up...some very interesting experiences. Hmmm, may be another good thread.

Anewme
    I've got several veggie dishes. My son is more on the non meat than me and my daughter are but we are very close to where he is. I think what has done me in for meat for the most part is seeing the critters being killed and skinned...ewwwww. When I prepare chicken, I have flash backs so I have to push them out if I want to have chicken that night.

Have you ever tried garbanzo salad? You make it as if you make tuna salad with pickles/onions/mayo and then you can eat it on whole wheat toast (toast is the best I think for this). All totally veggie.

I do like tuna salad sandwiches but have problem with the "meat" concept...lol.

• mustang
    mustang

Persimmons like the 2's:

There are two sources: the American and the Asian. As far as I know, there have been no special efforts directed at cultivating the American variety. They are just wild and not domesticated. These are the ones that are like eating alum if you get them early. They are smaller than the Asians and do turn towards orange when ripe. It is said that they get sweet 'when the frost hits them'.

The Asian types are domesticated. They are larger and regularly planted for their fruit. Again, the two's: there is a "crunchy" and a soft variety. I prefer the crunchy. One of the name varieites is the Fuyu; I am not sure which this one is.

Dragon Lady and I have two trees:

The small 'simmon isn't quite ripe; the big one is showing a lot of color. But these things are very SLOW to ripen, so we start experimenting when they turn orange.

Mustang

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    These are the ones that are like eating alum if you get them early. They are smaller than the Asians and do turn towards orange when ripe. It is said that they get sweet 'when the frost hits them'.

Yeah, they are very sweet and very good...and I do remember something about can't get them until after frost. I was about 9 when I tried the American ones. Oh, and I'll never forget biting down on a green one and getting that alum numbing feeling in my mouth.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I've been eating fried Plantains instead of potatoes. Depending on how ripe they are (green to black), they can be used as a side dish, or as a desert.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

sorry to take so long to get back to the thread. Yes, the donut shaped peaches and nectarines are very sweet and tender. Not sour at all. They taste like white peaches.

• mustang
    mustang

Dragon Lady and I like fruit trees. We have a bunch on our small plot of ground in town. I have a list below.

We have both white and donut peaches: they are sweet and excellent. We aren't too happy with the donut peach: it acts like a flowering peach, with immense blooms, but only a small crop of fruit

Ever had Purple Yams??? They are Hawaiian, they have purple meat and they are sweet. I'm used to the bigger, brown sweet potato. Dragon Lady bought some greens in the Asian supermarket. She "rooted" them in a glass and planted them; she has a total green thumb when it comes to rooting plants. So, she has had her crop of greens in the flower beds for years now. Last year when I dug things up and turned the soil, I found some small yams. I cut them open and they were the purple variety.

Star Fruit: my favorite juice. They grow wild in Singapore; I've eaten them off the tree.

We bury the kitchen scraps, in a crude form of composting. The "volunteers" prove most interesting

I count the things that I forage in the neighborhood on biking trips, too. One of the "distant neighbors" has a "sweet lemon", from Mexico. I'm still studying that one...

Mustang

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've been eating blackberries and blue berries.

Dont know about any new berries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit