What new fruits/veggies/foods have you tried? We tried Pepino Melon...yum!

by FreedomFrog 31 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Have you ever been to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield? They have every type of fruit and veggie known to man, from exotic places all over the world. It is definitely worth the trip there!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I second that. Jungle Jims is a really cool grocery store, it is almost a tourist attraction unto itself. Amanda and I would stop there on the way back home from Dayton.

FreedomFrog, have you ever tried a Paw Paw?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm cooking with fresh ginger more and more. We had THIS last week, yum.

http://www.go-at-home.com/recipeDetail.asp?RecipeID=761

Dare I admit this is the first time I've cooked Asparagus? The vegetables were all fresh and crunchy. I think this is my favorite way to have sweet potato now.

I substituted the cilantro with parsley. I find cilantro too strong. And the fancy mushrooms with regular ones.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Have you ever been to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield?

I've heard of Jungle Jim's, never have been there though. I'll check it out. Two places I use to go (but they're quite expensive) is Trader Joe's and Wild Oats. I'd get different types of fruits there and try.

FreedomFrog, have you ever tried a Paw Paw?

Hey JG, I'm originally from Waverly Ohio...and when I say Waverly, I was in the sticks. I think it was called Black Lake about 45mins to an Hour out from the actual town of Waverly. We lived on paw paws. They're good aren't they?

My kids hadn't heard of paw paws until last year, we went on out adventure trekking and started to smell the paw paws. I took that opportunity to show them the tree and what paw paws taste like. I showed them how to know whether they are ripe or not. We collected quite a bit.

Now, have you tried a persimmon? And if you have, have you tried the green? LOL Persimmons are very sweet if you pick them ripe (I believe they are yellow when ripe) but if you get them green, they will give you a numbing feel. My mom played that "trick" on me when I was young...lol...I never forgot what a persimmon was.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Cross-pollination is big in the squash-pumpkin family. I've attached a snapshot of it. It was delicious.

Wow, I didn't know that they could cross-pollinate. That would have been a great return gift to come back to. Too bad you couldn't grow more. It might have been a special, once in a life time, situation. A memory you'll always have. I love those kinds.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

my bad ,I forgot you were from Waverly down in the hills of Southern Ohio. I like Paw Paws too, but haven't eaten them that much. They are called a poor man's nanner.

As for persimmon's, I don't think I have ever had them. Do they grow in Ohio? or are they an overseas fruit? Do they grow on trees?

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I substituted the cilantro with parsley. I find cilantro too strong. And the fancy mushrooms with regular ones.

I had to look up cilantro cause I've never heard of it. I use the Coriander which is the seed part. I also agree, I use the coriader sparingly because it does have a strong taste. I'll use it in soups sometimes and very little so that when the soup boils the taste is a bit more mild.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    As for persimmon's, I don't think I have ever had them. Do they grow in Ohio? or are they an overseas fruit? Do they grow on trees?

Yep, they grow in Ohio on tall trees. Or at least it was tall to me because I was young when I first had a persimmon and mom let me climb up there to get one. LOL, she knew what was gonna happen. I know exactly where a persimmons tree is if it hasn't been cut down.

We also had lots of Sassafras tea and us kids would eat the tender leaves. Though, there are not many sassafras trees left and from what I heard they were on the endangered list, not sure if that's true though.

Oh, we also had gold rod tea. Believe me, when I say we lived in the sticks, we lived in the sticks and also got to experience more things than most people did when I was a kid. For example, my family was very poor and we didn't have running water but we had a natural spring that we would carry buckets up to the house.

I use to be embarrassed about my young life growing up with no electricity/water and living off the land for food but now I love the idea because I gain so much experience and knowledge living that way. My grandfather was 1/2 Cherokee Indian and boy, did he teach us kids many things. I miss my grandfather.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Sassafrass tea is an old time remedy.

Wow, you must have lived out in the sticks.

Once you get outside the cities, there is a whole different world out there.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Wow, you must have lived out in the sticks.

Once you get outside the cities, there is a whole different world out there.

Oh yeah, we did. 45 mins may still be not long enough to get to the "city" as we called Waverly...lol. We mainly lived off squirrel/rabbits/deer/vegetation and things like that. It was very much like Little House on the Prairie type atmosphere. I still have the country heart but I do like the convenience of stores around me...guess I became city fide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit