What new fruits/veggies/foods have you tried? We tried Pepino Melon...yum!

by FreedomFrog 31 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Each shopping trip, I get one new veggie/fruit or new dish and we (me and the kids) will taste test things. We've found many things we've liked doing this.

Tonight we just tried a Pepino Melon and it was very good. It has 5 grams of fiber which is another great source of fiber since my kids are very picky when it comes to foods. Sierra really loved it...she wanted more...lol.

So far within a month we've tried

Mashed cabbage (we all loved this)

Falafels (I liked it but the kids didn't like it as well...I think I can add a few more spices and they'll like them too)

Home made Truffles (of course we all love it...made of chocolate and gramcracker bits)

Ginger root (something that we may like but need some getting use too, sort of an "acquired taste" about it.)

We all get in the kitchen and make our "surprise" taste dish. Lots of fun making it and lots of fun tasting a new thing even if we end up not liking it.

So, what experiences have you tried with foods and did you like it once you tasted it? Are there foods that you've tried and started buying more of when you've found out it was pretty good?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, recently I tried something called a black velvet apricot. It looks and tastes like a plum, not an apricot, but it was very good. And I tried some of those little donut shaped nectarines and peaches. Also very good. They've got some new kinds of apples, Pink Lady, Jazz, Pacific Rose, all very good although Braeburn is still my favorite.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    And I tried some of those little donut shaped nectarines and peaches.

We almost pick some of those up....were they sweet? Most peaches around here is difficult to find fresh and they seemed to be a bit tart and too crunchy. I like sweet juicy peaces.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

For the past couple of years here in Dallas, I have been seeing prickly pears. They are called Tunas in spanish, and they are the fruit off of cactus plants. A couple of months ago, I decided to try some, and now I am hooked. I crave them, and eat several of them a day. They have an unusual taste, and are very sweet. I now consider it my favorite fruit, besides fresh figs.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

dont really eat fruit and veggies unless you count tater tots as a veggie. Just sayin Hi FreedomFroggie.

• JK666
    JK666

Star fruit is good for a change of pace.

alt

JK

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    dont really eat fruit and veggies unless you count tater tots as a veggie. Just sayin Hi FreedomFroggie.

Well, technically it is a veggie...so I guess I'll let it in...lol

Hi back at ya, IP

JK, we've had star fruit but it's been a long while... I totally forgot about them until now that you've mentioned it. They were pretty good. I'll have to pick some up next shopping trip. I'm sure the kids have forgotten what they tasted like.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I've been picking the blossoms off of my squash plants, stuffing them with cream cheese and garlic, dipping them in batter, and then frying them. Not new to me but new to my hubby.

Also been cooking fried green tomatoes, a delicacy I only indulge in a couple of times a year for obvious reasons.

In the past couple of years I've learned to love roasted rutabagas and to love turnip fries in place of french fries. And, of course, "fauxtaytoes", i.e., mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potates. Yum....

Hubby's been bringing home different local microbrews.

Pretty much, I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first.

StAnn

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

FreedomFrog recommends:

Ginger root

gingerroot is an old friend at our house (I just moved away from the San Francisco Bay area last week, and the wide diversity of foodstuffs is one of the few things I miss. However, you can get gingerroot even here in the wilds of Tie Dye Town Willits, California.)

ohiocowboy reports:

I have been seeing prickly pears

I used to see them in the better class of supermarkets here in the Bay Area, when I was a kid -- but I haven't seen them for sale outside of Mexican groceries for many years now. They have beautiful red pulp, full of seeds, about as sweet as a date, mealy and juicy all at once -- a little strange, but very good.

The day before we left the Bay Area for good, we treated ourselves to lunch in an inexpensive Indian restaurant. Most of the buffet looked more or less familiar to us, but what I thought was raita -- a fresh, grated cucumber/yogurt relish -- turned out to be a mildly sweet, semi-liquid rice pudding. My daughter isn't a big fan of heavily sweetened desserts, so she was very happy with it.

gently feral

• mustang
    mustang

Last year, we had volunteer kabocha's; they are japanese pumpkins. Actually they are large, green squash.

I planted a yellow crookneck, also. It only had a few small ones, but numerous flowers.

Most of the kabocha's died off, but just as we left for overseas, one final one shot up like a rocket. When we got back, it was going strong.

Then one day, Dragon Lady yells to 'come look'. It was yellow and spherical, not oblate and green. It finally got big enough and I harvested it.

Meanwhile, I looked around on the web. On a hunch I looked up "squashkin'. Sure eough, if you have a pumpkin and a squash together, you may get anything!!!

Cross-pollination is big in the squash-pumpkin family. I've attached a snapshot of it. It was delicious.

I tried it again and it didn't take

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit