Painter born without eyes baffles both the artistic and scientific worlds.

by Yizuman 27 Replies latest jw friends

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

who is this guy? link anyone?

• burningbridges
  • trevor
    trevor

Very moving. It shows that we experience the world with more than our eyes. Vision is a many faceted thing.

I was touched by his joy despite his handicap.

• trevor
    trevor
    Trevor: It does not show that at all.

Perhaps you could explain?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

It is something how the brain can captivate mental images with no sight......

h40

• trevor
    trevor

It is not for me to explain your comment. If you challenge someone, the onus falls upon you to explain why.

I am always interested in other opinions, especially ones that are different to mine. Perhaps you can share your superior knowledge with me and others on the board?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Wow! Thank you for sharing this. There is something called synesthesia which is a union of one or more of the senses. It's a Greek word

that comes from 'syn' meaning together and 'aisthesis' meaning sensation. For instance, you can hear colors or feel sounds. There is a really

good book about this called "The Man Who Tasted Shapes" by Richard E. Cytowic, M.D. It sounds like this artist may be experiencing this.

The fact that his brain showed extreme activity in the visual cortex, an area that should have been virtually inactive due

to his blindness, makes me think he is a blind synesthete where his senses of sight and touch combine. Amazing!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Please explain how?

I'll take a stab at that. Professor Longshanks may not be aware, but besides sight, we have at least four other senses, hearing, touch, taste, and smell. He must have missed that day in kindergarden.

Also, a large part of what we percieve is actually constructed in the brain, and not direct experience.

BTS

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks Burns)

Professor Longshanks.

This is a serious thread celebrating the achievement of a man who, though born without eyes has managed to inspire the world by becoming a painter.

I am not prepared to derail this thread and undermine this man's achievement by playing childish games with you.

This subject has the makings of an interesting and uplifting discussion for people who are capable of such.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Proff long

You sound like maxwell smart. Are you a secret agent? Should i start a thread where people can interview you?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit