Attention Book Lovers!!!!!!!

by whyamihere 40 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    burns: You do know Ken Follet is an atheist, right?

Yes, as I read the book I got "the vibe". Why do you ask? Am I not supposed to enjoy works produced by atheists?

BTS

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Lately I've been reading a lot of SciFi and Fantasy. I think it's a return to my childhood!

Any thing by David Eddings entertains me. I enjoy the Artemis Fowl books, even if they are for young adults.

A book that seems to be over looked because it's an ebook is Rachael de Vienne's Pixie Warrior. It's available on the Drollerie Press web site. I understand it comes out in paper later this year. It's a fun fantasy about a Pixie, her human husband, and their child. The child is born flying and talking, is a real handfull, and ends up saving the worlds of humans and pixies. I'd give this to my teen age granddaughter, but her JW mom would have a fit, i'm sure.

I especially liked the baby pixie in the story because she reminded me of my own first child. If you buy it as an ebook, i found readerwise.com the best way to do it. Select the pdf format. I liked it so much that I will buy it as paperback when it comes out. I was led to it by a review on a book site that described it as "the best world building since Tolkein." If that isn't true, it's close.

I also like Oz books, which are still in print.

I'm not sure if they still print any Carter Dickson novels, but I occasionally reread those I bought when much, much younger than I am now. And I still enjoy P. G. Wodehouse books. He's mostly forgotten, and that's a shame. Crime Wave at Blandings Castle is a hoot! Mary Roberts Reinhart is still worth reading, particularly her Nurse Pinkertons stories. enjoy!

• changeling
    changeling

Anything written by: Gregory Maguire

changeling :)

• changeling
    changeling

I do pay for books (as opposed to using the Library) because I like to collect them. When they are really good, they become "friends". If they are so-so I take them to the used book store.

changeling :)

• Gregor
    Gregor

After buying the super hyped best seller "When you are engulfed in flames" by David Sedaris, (Little Brown $25.99) and being unable to read more than 50 pages of this grade C, tedious attempt at humor, drivel, I am thinking maybe the library books do have advantages, boogers and all.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I usually read a book every week. Great ones are hard to find.

On the road, Jack Kerouac.

A walk across America, Peter Jenkins.

If you like cop detective mysterys. chek out John Sanford he has a series, you want to start with "Rules of Prey".

"The Sex Lives of Canibals" J. Marten Troost.

"Hell's Angel" Sonny Barger

"The Call of the Wild" Jack London

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I just read the Red Tent as well, loved it, made me long for my "sisters" to be closer to me, and renewed my faith in what it means to be a woman.

BB

• redredrose
    redredrose

Ooh, you guys sound way more intellectual than I am!

I read for escapism: anything by John Connolly Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow, etc; anything by Randy Wayne White Dark Night, Tampa Burn etc; Simon Green especially the Nightside series; historical mysteries Fiona Buckley; anything by Preston and Child,
    adventure by Jeff Long Descent, and James Rollins Map of Bones and my very guilty pleasure is supernatural/vampire fiction Laurell K Hamilton, Kelley Armstrong...

I read alot and the library lets me do that and not bankrupt myself, lol

I'm jealous Rob!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I wanted to do a bttt.....

I forgot to mention some of the books I have recently read and would love to pass on.

Christopher Moore: Lamb :The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal! This book was just so hilarious, you'll have to understand his sense of humor to get it.

Christopher Moore: You Suck: Another funny story. Really odd book that you fall in love with. Actually, read anything by Christopher Moore.

Paul Neilan: Apathy and Other Small Victories: Sick twisted humorous nature - if you have it? Read this book.

I'm started to read - Why We Hate Us by Dick Meyer. After that I have on hand The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

hey Brooke you still make me go from to - have a on me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit