Attention Book Lovers!!!!!!!

by whyamihere 40 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

OK, I am on my 8th book this month - not too bad for this Mommy. Anyway, I've gotten back to my previous life of indulging myself into books that you can't put down.

Little Children by Tom Perrotta.

Excellently portrayed 2 unhappily married suburbans who's repetitive wrong choices impact a their dull lives, yet alter your own moral thinking of them being heroic in their quest to find happiness with a self imprisoned/trapped marriage they each lead. With a twist of a towns own agony, a paedophile in the mist - yet, you find yourself not cheering him on, but getting to know him on a personal level. This is my own simple review.

I am looking for more books to read, anyone read a good one lately? What is your favorite(s)?

Brooke

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Hi Why

Great thread, I am always looking for new authors and books to read. I am reading a lot of books lately, now that its pool weather and also because I am slightly immobilized with severe back pain. So I sit a lot.

I will look into that book Little Children, isn't it a movie now???

I recently read Khalid Hosseinis two books. The Kite Runner and A thousand Splendid Suns. Excellent books, fictional characters that come alive in modern day Afghanistan. their culture, the war and living as a woman or child in that country is brought to light.

This month I have read about 6 of Greg Iles books, he is an excellent writer. Look him up at

http://www.gregiles.com I have read all his books but two. I recommend, The Quiet Game, Sleep no more and 24 hours and the best one in my opinion was Black Cross. I think the reviews of each book are on his website

Velvet

• megs
    megs

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I really enjoyed her writing!

In a coming-of-age story for thirtysomethings, Gilbert leaves behind an excruciating divorce, tumultuous affair, and debilitating depression as she sets off on a yearlong quest to bridge the gulf between body, mind, and spirit. Part self-deprecating tour guide, part wry, witty chronicler, Gilbert relates this chapter of her life with a compelling, richly detailed narrative that eschews the easy answers of New Age rhetoric.
  • Sirona
    Sirona

I read about 95% non fiction...

I'm currently looking for good books on the subject of how the Qabalah reveals the OT - in case anyone has any suggestions!

Love books!!!!

Sirona

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

p j tracy.....mother and daughter thriller writing team...want to play (aka monkeewrench)....live bait...

elizebeth george..with no-one as witness and the follow on ...what came before he shot her.

• Blasty
    Blasty

I've read some pretty good ones lately in different categories.

Sci-Fi

"The Praxis" by Walter Williams

Really cool trilogy that is set in the super distant future, some alien race conquored all the intelligent species of the galaxy, got bored with being an immortal super race and just killed themselves off. Now all the species, humans included, gotta figure out how to rule in their absence.

99% Non-Fiction

"102 Minutes" by Jim Dwyer and Kevin Flynn

This is story of the 102 minutes of the World Trade center incident. Basically the period of time from the first plane hit to the last tower falling. It has nothing to do with consipiracy theories. The book is basically tries to go chronologically through what was happening in the towers. It pieces together 911 calls, survivor stories, police / fire communications and so on to tell the story as best they can of what happened. Basically a story about the people inside.

Fantasy

"Song of Fire and Ice" by George R.R. Martin

An unfiniiished series, currently at 4 books. The story is so good, that at times you'll be so mad you might throw the book at the wall. One of the few authors I've ever read, that tells a no BS story. The good guys don't always win.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

whyamihere: You description of Little Children reminds me of Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara. Except instead of modern day suburbanites, it takes place in eastern PA in the '30s. Anyway, it's in the "top ten best books I've ever read" category; if you get a chance, check it out: it's about a man who can't stop his own self-destructive behavior, even though he seems to have everything. Rich portraits of characters, including his wife. Strong sense of place--you really feel like you're there.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Another vote for A Thousand Splendid Suns.

great book and I got a better understanding of how they live over there. How the women are treated and How the Taliban has affected the region over there.

purps

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara - Thank you daniel-p! I shall get this one.

Thousand Splendid Suns - I will get this one too!

Does anyone go to the Public Library anymore? When I go it seems like such a ghost town - almost like a lost art. I love the smell of a Library and I could spend my whole day sitting there reading in peace.

Brooke

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I highly recommend both The Kite Runner (recommended to me my purps last year) and A Thousand Splendid Suns, both by the same author..

TheSilence started a thread about this book for her Book Club thread in July. Book Club, July 08, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Read both books and see TKR..its out on video now...

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit