What would you do?

by Tool Man 43 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    The put down is an excellent basis for friendship. Any of you ever seen that Seinfeld episod where George gets a job working for a baseball team and they cuss each other out every time they see each other? It's quite good. "Hey you dumb son of a bitch! How you doing?!"

But Seinfeld is fiction. Generally, you need to establish a friendship first, to draw up boundaries. And some friendships do include roasting and razzing each other in a joking way. But the friendship comes first. I don't know about you, but I find out what someone's personality is like before I settle into a rapport with them. In my dad's wife's case, she was insecure about us being Dad's children by his first wife. We were basically an incovenience in her life. Had Dad never been married, she could have him all to herself with no uncomfortable interruptions from us children. She was reserved and we were talkative and gregarious. So she tried to criticize us for that.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

We do break the ice over here with a put down sometimes……

I work in construction and unless you are like it you won’t last long or make many friends. You would be seen as stuck up…

It is an inverted way of being nice.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I'd say it was the British sense of humour. When i am amongst "the lads", it's all about mickey taking. We do not see anything wrong in calling a woman beautiful, in front of their husbands either. In fact it's a common Southern expression to call a woman "beautiful", you may hear him say "alright beautiful?". If he says these things with a smile on his face, you can guarantee it's said in jest.

Especially if he's from Essex, he's more than likely to be like this.

If it's a problem have a word with him, ask him straight out.

Paul

• zagor
    zagor

This is gotta be one of the funnier things I’ve read recently on this board. Ironies of trying to be “normal” after leaving wtbs, eh?

Yes as the matter of fact there are many places in England that ends with ‘sex’..

I think you should just tell him sod off and leave your woman alone or you might clip his fingers next time. Just so he knows how much of a tool you really are. I don’t think someone from Essex would understand anything else.

But if you want to know for sure what someone thinks, particularly considering circumstances you’re in there is an old method used by old fighters in very rare occassions when they are confusing friends and foes, which to my knowledge comes from Kung Fu monastery of Shaolin temple in China, where you pretend to be exposed (in battle wounded) before striking back and is says. ,” if you really want to know hidden person behind the face of someone, appear vulnerable target for a moment in front of them, that will make either real predator rush out at you or mountain wind to soothe your soul. “ And it means just let them come out, don’t be defensive or argumentative.
    It is amazing how particularly westerners automatically run into it because of tendency to interpret soft spoken words as the sign of weakness; method is so powerful that it works instantly, no need for protracted painful experience with someone.

You will see the change in their demeanour and how they handle themselves in relation to you. If they are real friends they will try to comfort you, so be friends yourself and from then on overlook their little idiosyncrasies. And if they turn to be foe, unleash hell, or if you want to be a gentle man simply walk away from them with you head high, either way they will know what just hit them.

But I tend to agree with others, I think it is just a cultural thing, something we have to deal with in our global village with people coming from all over the world. It is in my opinion potential for a way better world than our uniform communities could ever provide, just look at the places such as Silicon Valley and you’ll get what I mean.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

It is a cultural thing, for sure. When I dated a scotsman, at first, I thought he was a rude son of a ........... until I heard him interact with his friends and realized that is the way they joke around, relate, tease each other. (They routinely referred to each other as C#nts, which is a HUGE no no in our culture). I'd not get too bent out of shape about it unless he crosses the line with your wife. And perhaps, this is an opportunity to show her that you aren't that type of husband, that you do appreciate and adore her.

• John Doe
    John Doe

So, why is it ok for an American to refer to someone as a dick, but not a c*nt?

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    So, why is it ok for an American to refer to someone as a dick, but not a c*nt?

It's no different really JD, except one is considered acceptable socially, even if not appreciated but the other is considered the absolute foulest thing to call a person. Perhaps there are alot more dicks than c*nts.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic
    until I heard him interact with his friends and realized that is the way they joke around, relate, tease each other. (They routinely referred to each other as C#nts, which is a HUGE no no in our culture).

Wow…who would have guessed…..that’s exactly how I routinely refer to Scotsmen, which is no big deal in English culture either….although we don’t often say it as a joke…….

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Oh John...lol....I love Jay Leno....

h40

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

We had some witlesses that came to the USA from Guatemala. She was supposedly a big tv star over there and he was a bigshot businessman. All they did was say how crummy this was and how shitty that was and oh what great palaces they owned in Guatemala. My dad asked them what the hell they were doing in our shitty country.....

Same for the Brit...Ask him what kind of an idiot has it so good in Essex and comes slumming across the pond....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit