Bank of America took $3000 out of my checking account without telling us!

by LovesDubs 72 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I have opened a new checking account in a bank with NO affiliation with me prior to this at all. B of A will get not one thin dime from me in the future. No they didnt know I was filing bankruptcy. I supposed they assumed that because I wasnt paying them, and told them I was unable, that they would just "help me along" by paying themselves. And Im over the initial shock of that now. Of course they werent going to tell me in advance that they were going to take this money...or it WOULDNT have been there for them to take. I am however going to write to the NBC affiliate here, they have a "Doesnt That Stink?" segment and I think people should be aware that this can happen to them.

Thanks to those who have supported me in this...it undid me but I learned from it.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

LovesDubs:

Do you honestly think that any other bank is going to be any more ethical than BOA? I guarantee you ANY bank you do that to would do the same. I have had similar stuff happen at other banks, like them running checks through my accound before they run my deposits on the same day and and charging NSF out the ass for it. Every bank is out to get as much from you as possible. I hate that your are going through this but don't think that a bank is there to serve your best interests; you have to cover your ass when dealing with those legal loan sharks.

LRG

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

OK I can see why this came as a nasty surprise to LovesDubs, and I sympathize, but let's look at the reality of the situation:

You owe money to Lender A... You tell Lender A "Sorry I won't be able to pay you back"... You ask Lender A "Hold this $3000 for me, will you?"... You ask Lender A "OK can I have my money back now? Whaddya mean NO??"

C'mon. What's with the outrage over being made to fulfill a small portion of your contractual obligation that you cheerfully agreed to?

I think this can serve as a lesson that (a) you may actually be asked to live up to your promises and (b) you are solely responsible for your own financial education, and if you choose ignorance expect to have many experiences like this throughout your life.

Your financial livelihood being dependant upon one construction loan is not living within your means... it is living on the edge of your means, where a shift in the winds can knock you off the cliff.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

LovesDubs:

Thanks to those who have supported me in this...it undid me but I learned from it.

At the risk of annoying you further, I don't think you have learned from it. All you seem to have learned is to be even sneakier and more evasive when it comes to paying back money you owe. You admit that had you known Bank of America were going to collect the money you borrowed from them but didn't intend to pay back, you would have made it impossible for them to do so. You've learned a lesson in logistics, but you've completely missed the moral one.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

You are an ass Funky. Im sure in my position you would just continue to put money into the bank so they could continue to take it. Right? Suuuuure you would. Oh wait..I forgot..you are PERFECT and this never would happen to YOU. My bad. We had planned to file Chapter 13 so we could work this OUT with our debtors but you seem bent on making me out to be a criminal and a sneak so have at it. It cant POSSIBLY be that after 54 years on the planet without so much as a TRAFFIC TICKET to my name, paying every single bill every month on time since I was 16 years old...that I could have fallen on hard times. Noooooo cant be THAT. I have three children to house and feed and take care of. There is no FUCKING WAY Im putting any more money in front of these asswipes so they can take my mortgage payment AGAIN and make me not only file bankruptcy but FORECLOSURE on my HOME. They arent looking to "work with me" at all...and they havent lost a damn dime on me.

Have a nice day.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

LovesDubs:

You are an ass Funky.

Indeed. It's rather naive to expect everyone on a discussion board to agree with you. You've been here long enough to know that's not how it works. Robust disagreement is a necessary and enjoyable part of posting on this board.

Im sure in my position you would just continue to put money into the bank so they could continue to take it. Right? Suuuuure you would.

I can't even begin to imagine how I would get into a position like that. But I like to think that in the future I will continue to pay my debts in a timely manner even if I'd prefer not to.

Oh wait..I forgot..you are PERFECT and this never would happen to YOU. My bad.

It's not something that happened to you. It's something you did. You borrowed money and now you can't afford to pay it back. So yes, it is your bad.

We had planned to file Chapter 13 so we could work this OUT with our debtors but you seem bent on making me out to be a criminal and a sneak so have at it.

Not a criminal. This seems to be perfectly legal. But if you owed me money, I'd certainly be pretty miffed that you weren't going to pay it all back, especially when you had assets and income that could be used to do so. Your decision not to pay your debts in full is certainly no less sneaky than the decision of one of your creditors to collect on one of those debts.

It cant POSSIBLY be that after 54 years on the planet without so much as a TRAFFIC TICKET to my name, paying every single bill every month on time since I was 16 years old...that I could have fallen on hard times. Noooooo cant be THAT.

Of course it's that. It's exactly that. You fell on hard times, and instead of having savings that you had sensibly accumulated during the good times, you instead had debts. You had wrongly assumed that the good times would continue and had borrowed on the strength of that. You should have known that it was a risky strategy as your lawyer and all those big legal documents you had to sign would have made abundantly clear. Don't get me wrong I sympathise with you just as much as I envy those who've become rich when the pendulum swung the other way but that's the nature of the game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's hardly fair to complain about the rules just because you're losing.

I have three children to house and feed and take care of. There is no FUCKING WAY Im putting any more money in front of these asswipes so they can take my mortgage payment AGAIN and make me not only file bankruptcy but FORECLOSURE on my HOME.

By all means, prioritise your debts, but don't blame your creditors for trying to get what is rightfully theirs.

They arent looking to "work with me" at all...and they havent lost a damn dime on me.

It sounds like you still owe them money, money which you intend never to pay them (otherwise why would you expect them to take more?). So it seems they have lost money on you, and probably a lot more than a dime. Again, if I'm wrong, I apologise.

Have a nice day.

You too. I hope things work out for you.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Bad things happen to good people sometimes.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Amen.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen and amen.

I used to think that if I did everything right, I would have a worry-free life.

Uh huh.

Ask me again.

Sylvia

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

me too Snowbird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit