Where was the joy they kept taling about

by heybaby 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• dogon
    dogon

The joy comes in by drinking the kool-aid, the group mentality. Getting the same high you get from an attaboy by a father or mother. There was an elder in Vanderbuilt, I will call him [Dick Schroder] You would work you ass off and he would only find fault, you need to do more. Never could please this asshole. His daughter married my cousin, and they were second cousins, go figure, and they talk about Mississippi. LOL Now the elder who I call Dick Schroder has taken control of his daughters kids, and his daughter and my cousin, her cousin, have ran off to a town thirty miles away. Now Dick and I mean the organ not the name, is going to screw up more kids. By the way this is the elder I wrote about that had the gloves try to strangle him becasue he had glass particals leftover from breaking dishes with crosses on them. LOL He is a joke of a human. His IQ would make a very low room temp.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

I was born into it.

I think I felt joy once.....

for about 5 seconds.

It was the time I, no wait,

that wasn't me that happend to.

Damn it

No never. Completely joyless experience

• Maddie
    Maddie

"Joy" is one of the fruits of the Spirit. JW's sadly haven't got that joy because it has been lost in favour of rules and fear of not putting enough hours in.

Maddie

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Too true heybaby darling, too true.

I always hated service, and thought maybe if I pioneered it would help me see it in a different light. Nope, even worse!

This year is the first year in my 29 years of life that I will have a holiday that does not involve either a district convention or spending more time witnessing. Believe me, THAT is JOY.

Much Love

Rob

• halcyon
    halcyon

I found joy when the two OTHER people in the car would get invited into someone's house for a looooong talk (45 minutes? YAY!!!) leaving me in the car to talk to a cute brother. How quickly that could turn to dread, though, when it was ME who was asked to go to the house with the Pioneer instead, and have to spend the 45 minutes inside there.

I found joy at assemblies, really I did, because life seemed SO simple and easy there. Life was a dream, as presented from the stage. Everything sounded so easy and wonderful and full of peace. Boring and stilted when "skits" tried to portray it, but that's just because those people were terrible actors with a terrible script. The talks made everything so black and white, that sitting and listening to "reality" (as presented) sounded so comforting. It was always such a weird disconnect when I actually got home and walked into the door of my not-so-easy actual life. It took many years for me to realize that I was just listening to a dream world when I was there.

There was joy as a child in peace of mind. Really there was. I could label things as "bad" and then stay away from them, and I felt peace. Never mind that I had no friends my age. I guess they figured I was boring or something.

I had joy as a child when grownups would praise me for being so smart. I lost the joy when, as a grownup, the praise went away and I discovered that my talent, that of being an intelligent woman, was going to waste. No one listened to a woman. I was just another "sister", and not even an attractive one or a pioneer one, so why bother with me?

I found joy in prayer, sometimes. I would struggle soooo hard to see up into that deep dark tube that connected me with God, and He would breathe down and connect me to him, somehow, with his warm dark breath. I thank the JWs for that, for insisting that I develop a personal relationship with God. Because I still have it! Only it's MUCH easier to see up into that tube. It's not so dark anymore, and SO much shorter! He's SO much closer now. And now He wraps His arms around me, rather than just breathing down that tube at me.

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

I never felt the love and joy I was supposed to feel either.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I tried really hard to find joy in the ministry. Did the auxiliary and reg pioneering. Learned a second language. Even in Bethel, found no real joy.

However, for right hearted individuals, Joy can be yours:

Joy Dishwasing Detergent

... and Joy comes in many sizes, too !!!

B the X

• Gopher
    Gopher

Joy is a fruitage of the spirit. The spirit permeated God's true organization. So if you didn't have joy, it was your own damn fault !!

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Field service, Talks, Meetings, Commenting, The "Privilege" of cleaning the Hall, Conventions, Assemblies... Zero Joy.

There were fleeting moments of Joy that resulted from the false sense of accomplishment after completing one of the tasks above.

• mustang
    mustang
    I ALWAYS hated service...ALWAYS!! I even thought that the reason I hated it so much was because I had a bad attitude.

Not me; bad attitude, that is: I hated FS and knew it was awful, with no regrets. I just did it until I choked on it. BTW, I pIONEER'd for a few years!!!

And when I quit, I really quit. FS sucked, no end.

Twice, I told died-in-the-wool JW zealots that "I might go back to meetings, but there was NO WAY I would ever do FS again".

Both times it stopped them cold, dead in their tracks. The first time was on the phone to my father, so I couldn't see the expression on their face.

The other time was face-to-face and the look, as they say, was priceless.

These people are so transparent: they don't know that if you've been "in" long enough to have pIONEER'd that you have learned the ropes. You know HOW they slip you into the FS: "first contact", Bible study, meetings, love bombing, then... FS.

I always picture these codgers plotting on "re-invigorating" a lost sheep: associating, back to meetings, 'please come with us in the car group', then to the door and so on until it's "you take this one".

I see them in my mind having something between a snicker and a sneer on their face. They're "licking their chops" and rubbing their hands with glee, in anticipation of recovering the "lost sheep".

And they quietly mutter, "he'll never know what hit him!!!".

Am I going overboard here? I think not. I have reports back from my brother and friends that my father spent time plotting on my return, to the fold and to the opposite coast. He told my brother that he had loaned me money and now I "had to do what he said".

But as I said, I could see this coming. And when I put my foot down, they were totally taken by surprise.

But I knew that I had to be firm and stand up to them.

I wish that I'd told some O'seer: "I'm doing this because it's an obligation, pure and simple; if I ever figure how to convince myself that IT'S NOT A OBLIGATION, you'll never see me in FS again". That's what they deserve to hear.

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit