What is YOUR bible of choice?

by gloobster 42 Replies latest jw friends

• gloobster
    gloobster

Much better, ty. It's good to know you have the properly corrupted bible :)

• barry
    barry

Im suprised how popular the KJV is on this thread. Ive just bought a KJV for my fathers 80th birthday tomorrow. It has large print and a reference margin and will be perfect for him as he still sometime takes the sermon at church.

• gloobster
    gloobster

I like the KJV because I think the language is so much more beautiful than the others--as far as understandability goes, I'm kind of an Old English lover. I'm no expert in the matter, but one thing I do really like about the KJV is that it is easy to tell when the 2nd person plural pronoun ye, meaning "you all", is being used, which modern English doesn't have an equivalent for. I know that some translations use "YOU" in small caps instead, but this seems to be inconsistent. As someone earlier in this thread commented, one bible scholar said there are probably less biases in the KJV translation than in most modern ones, because there were less influences from existing religions, and previously translated bibles, in the time period in which it was translated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit