What is YOUR bible of choice?

by gloobster 42 Replies latest jw friends

• gloobster
    gloobster

Although I'm pretty much an atheist, I still like reading the bible. It's an amazing literary masterwork to say the least.

My question is, after discovering that the New World Translation of the WTS was poorly translated and altered in ways designed to support their various peculiar doctrines (see John 1:1, etc.), what bible translation are you all the most fond of?

I guess I'm old skool, I like the King James Version.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Richard Elliot Friedman's translation of J.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

I use the NASB most, but I like to compare them all http://www.e-sword.net/

• wobble
    wobble

I like to use the Contemporary English Version ,published here in the U.K by Harper Collins ISBN 0 00 2201976. It is very readable and not too distorted by the translators theology,but I think we have to recognise that every translation has its faults and errors.The King James of course is great in a quaint sort of way,but was produced to support the "divine right "of Kings and is very poor in the light of modern scholership and the more honest approach of most modern translators. I think the advice to use E-Sword is excellent if you wish to get an appreciation of the original writers thoughts.

Kind regards

Wobble

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I like the "Children's Living Bible". Its got very interesting footnotes such as the mention of blood being in relation to animals in Acts and the fact that the number of the beast is 616 not 666 (anyone see the episode of QI that mentioned that?).

It modernizes things so its not a direct translation. Instead of x talents of gold it gives a dollar amount and instead of saying "You son of a good for nothing maiden" it says "You son of a bitch"!

• gloobster
    gloobster

Thank you all for recommending e-sword. I just downloaded it (and about 30! bibles). That will give me something to chew on for a while (like the rest of my life) lol.

• RR
    RR

I'm a revised old scholl, I use the NEW King James, which does away with the "Thou" and Thee". Although I use many translations in my study and research, the NKJ is what I use for everyday reading!

RR

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

I'm interested in this topic too. My parents regularly suggest I at least read the bible since I won't go to meetings or otherwise read JW propaganda. I'm considering it, but it won't be a NWT. I'd like to read something reputable but doctrinally nuetral as possible.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I like any bible that's on fire.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Holman Illustrated Study Bible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit