do you feel posting on JWD helps or hinders your recovery?

by burningbridges 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

I'd say for those of us who are shunned it's not something we can just "let go" especially if we see and deal with these people daily, like I do with my daughter, I struggle daily realizing that my poor choices to join this religion will potentially bite me in the ass if she chooses to grow up ans shun me like her father does. What a life, to be hated by your own creation.... (gee, how ironic)

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

I really liked Simon's take. He suggested that this site should be for a person to become an ex-EXJW. That showed me that there is a graduation to all of this. Unlike the Theocratic School where I would still be giving those #2 Talks. Stop spending time when this becomes as mundane as the TMS.

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Helps of course!

• beerose
    beerose

some of us had enough,tired of being called a liar from the liars,and just need a release!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Cognizant Dissident: I would like also like to challenge the idea that ex-JW's have been traumatized by being JW and have anything to "recover" from. Is it possible for an entire religious organization to traumatize us?

To traumatize it to cause a trauma to someone. A trauma is any injury, physical or emotional.
    "Trauma" is both a medical and psychiatric term.

WTS does traumatize. Their literature and guidance at the Kingdom Hall is damaging and
    injurious. Some have been injured more than others.

Most of us were afraid to look outside the religion for answers because of the programming.
    Most of us were afraid that Jehovah would abandon us (if not literally strike us with lightning)
    and had to overcome the psychological trauma done to us before we could begin to recover.

Your name is a play on a pychological condition where a person has difficulty imagining they
    are wrong about things. Don't you think that an organization that exploits that condition is
    further victimizing or traumatizing it's members? I do.

• beerose
    beerose

Splashing my personal pain all over this forum,so that the lurkers seeking to find their victims,can read them,and maybe feel the guilt,that they should be feeling! The pain I splashed here is only a drop of the real pain for me ,and for others who posted here! "Get over it" some may say,but when you have pain that goes so deep,you just can't ! All we can do is live with it,and hope we can put it away,when it is forced to surface!For some like my sister seeking for help got her dead at 44,for my other sister sometimes the meds help,for me I try to ride the waves.It is the anger inside of us that makes the words seem like an attack.For those who think these words are persecuting,it is not! It is just hateing what is bad! Hillary-step,lazy-good for nothings,try broke for a word! How many record of achivements do you have in your work files,throughout your life? Oh yeah,I forgot your records are stored in heaven,for the hate work you've accomplished! By the way who's accountable for teaching these children how to hate?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

My husband and my two daughters (the nonwitnesses) would rather see me sitting here on JWD than lying in the bed.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Some said that people are seeking attention. Well of course! If you're sick, you better seek attention and hope that you get supported or helped!

If you don't seek attention, you may die! Physically or mentally! That's my take. There are people at different levels of recovery here. When I seen a patient in the hospital that couldn't walk or wash his own butt, couldn't get up and go to the bathroom, couldn't pour his own water; and one day he gets up and starts looking for the door to get out, I say you're better! Of course, I'd ask him if he new his name, where he lived, and what year it is! Now, if you get one that can never get up to go to the bathroom, he's going to always need attention and support. Just like a baby.

Baby steps!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I think it depends on what the definition of "recovery" is. I can say only for my own experience (because as HS said, each person's experience and how they allow the board to affect them is different) that it has helped me socially. I have met some very nice folks as a result of this board, even have lunch occasionally with a couple of them...talk on the phone or email a few others occasionally....

but as far spending time on this board... I read more than I post...it seems to be taking forever to hit the 2,000 post plateau...which I take as a good sign, esp since about 20% of those posts were playing the werewolf game.... meaning...I am not living on this board...I am living in the real world. The board is real only in that we presume that what folks say on here is true until proven otherwise....

I come here to keep up on the latest borg happenings only because I my mom is still active (not strong, just active) as a dub... I think if anything happens to mom, and I am away from the town I grew up in..then maybe JWD will not hold the importance that it does to me now.

I would like to be more supportive of the newbies...but honestly....with college and work...that takes priority.... and as the years away from the Borg continue to accumulate, I wonder how much my experience as a former elder will hold any relevance to the current crop leaving the Borg.... but I am certainly willing to help as I can...

interesting topic...

Snakes ()

• trevor
    trevor

MsMcDucket: Some said that people are seeking attention.

Yes it was me:

Nevertheless I take you point about trying to support others through a forum and unfortunately I am coming to the conclusion that it may be a waste of time because most people seem to want attention more than support.

I take on board your comments and there are people here who are genuinely looking for support. When I first came, I was looking for support. There were some wonderful people here who offered me that support but no longer post as they have moved on.

I am no longer here looking for support but offer it when I can. Perhaps I am wrong or looking for attention myself. We are always the last to see ourselves as others do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit