do you feel posting on JWD helps or hinders your recovery?

by burningbridges 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I found my first few posts very "LIBERATING"

• trevor
    trevor
    A person wishing to hear that their life is a failure due to their being a JW and not due to the fact that they might be lazy good-for-nothings for example, is much more likely to feel 'supported' by those who shred the Jehovah's Witnesses, than those who might tell them to get some excercise, get some education and get moving.

Spot on Hillary

Many people cannot bear to be told the truth about themselves. The more hostile or angry the response to a comment, the more likely it is to be true. People want to have their ears tickled. To see through the persona they present on this forum is the unforgivable sin.

However there are many genuine people here who are trying to work their way through depression and loss and over the last 7 years I have tried to offer genuine support and help. But If I get the feeling that someone is not genuine I ignore them. Nevertheless I take you point about trying to support others through a forum and unfortunately I am coming to the conclusion that it may be a waste of time because most people seem to want attention more than support.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Some need this. Some don't.

So true. Many DF'ed, DA'ed, or just faded inactive dubs never learn that it
    was not the truth. Many who are sure it is not the truth still have lingering
    doubts. Many who are fully convinced that it is not the truth still think that
    many of it's doctrines are right on the money, just that the corporation of WTS
    has corrupted the spiritual good.

For people in many of those situations, they need to discover some things.
    Some will get to the right website or the right books, but many will not. Others
    will find the info. they need, but still not be fully sure of their path until others
    who were JW's help them to see that it's okay to reexamine an issue, a doctrine,
    an intent of WTS.

I was helped immensely by freeminds and jwfacts and others before coming here.
    I knew the WTS was a false prophet before my first post. I already resigned as an
    elder before my first post. I still had no idea about Ray Franz's books on JW's or
    Steve Hassan's books on cults. I still had not decided if the name "Jehovah" belonged
    in the New Testament, and I struggled with the worldwide preaching and the blood
    issue. I had not thought that the UN and the pedophile issues were such a big
    issue. I had a bunch to learn.

JWD not only helped me learn those things. I saw a community that was struggling
    over the same issues I was struggling over. That was huge for me.

Now, I am past that. I still stay here like an addict. But it's starting to weaken for me.
    It's almost time to move on away from JWD and just check back every week or so, then
    maybe less often. I am right there on the horizon of doing that. I have previously described
    JWD as methodone for heroine addicts. Methodone is bad and addictive, but it's dispensed
    to help get off of the worse drug that is going to kill you.

A methodne addict gets sick when they don't have their fix. They get sick when they decrease
    the dosage. But if they stick to the program, they can eventually get off the methodone and
    on to a drug-free life. Well baby, I have been on my methodone for two years almost. At first,
    I was still dipping into my heroine (JW meetings), but I managed to get off that stumbling block.
    That means my program is working. Soon, very soon- I can take a major reduction in my
    methodone (JWD) then just check back now and again. If the checking part is too much for me,
    then I will phone and meet with others and avoid the site entirely.

Is that a complete answer?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Neither

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

burning btw "Trevor's" screen name was dedpoet

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

journey-on,

yes the "me" i present here is the real me. If it wasn't what would I be gaining? I talk about my real issues here, my divorce, my custody battle, my fears, things that I'm struggling with and just need people with similiar situations to share with. I haven't had anything interesting to "present" other than what I've really struggled with, and honestly none of it's intersting, if anyting, a lot of its pathetic.

• wings
    wings

I think the most helpful resource offered here is to anonymously explore one's doubts, confusion, and questions about the WTS.

JWD offers a pathway to education, information, and resources. Paramount to recovery.

There is no doubt that all the words spoken by those on this board have been taken in as an internal experience by most of us. So therefore, JWD also offers friendships with flesh and blood people, community, diversions, discussions, support, contentions, laughter, and fun.

Discussion board life is new to me, as it is to so many. I would not have stayed here had it not helped. From time to time it gets to be too much, and balance needs to be found.

wings

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It possibly hinders mine, but for the most part it is just something to do to fill the time while I plan my next getaway from Knoxville.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Junction,

You didn't happen to be anywhere near a Unitarian church in Knoxville, Tennessee today did you?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

No, I was asleep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit