How many youths left the WTS in the mid to late 90's?

by Greensleeves 34 Replies latest jw friends

• worf
    worf

I don't how many youths left, but the wt lost MILLIONS of members worldwide during the 1990's. Me included.

Worf

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I graduated high school in '82. Most of my teenage angst came out in the punk era. By the time I became a JW in the late '80's, grunge was coming on the scene. A different angst but I recognized it. One major difference. It was way more popular and mainstream. You didn't have to go to college or independent radio to hear it. Dressing the part usually meant I got my ass kicked. I can't count the times someone would yell "Hey DEVO" and then kick my ass.

I think that made the average JW teen even more awkward in school. The grunge scene was so popular and everyone dressed the part. That nerdified the avg JW teen even further. I watched most of the youth in my congregation disappear, df'd, whatever.

I didn't realize at the time that they had it right.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If there was a mass exodus of young people in the 90's, do you think it could have something to do with the Internet?

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

Let me type this slowly for you.

I said: I progressed up the ladder and gained a position in the congo.

This is a PI$$ take - no such thing as progression, ladder or position.

Then I said: The closer I got to the centre of what was going on the more I realised it was wrong

The centre of the congo - not the org. After 30 years it's easier than you think to get stuck in and start playing with peoples lives - mikes would have been nice but public talks, accounts conducting a book study for 5 years and herding really does allow you to have some control on people especially when you slip in apostate ideas from time to time. While it's a fake authority, it is an authority as people follow you like you'd never believe.

The point I wanted you to understand is that while loads got disfellowshipped none came back apart from two of us and both of us didn't last. Worse still my mate went off the rails so bad he killed himself on booze and drugs. I'm sure he was pleased I conducted his apostate funeral. So yes you were right, the cobain generation as I called it (he ended it in my view) left a mark on the org.

It's going to happen again. I had 3 teenagers in my bookstudy on tranquilizers. This time round it will be worse and it wont be disfellowshipping that leaves a mark on the org it will be teens taking their lives. It's already becomming a craze in the UK and I suspect it will soon reach the org.

It's good to know you think I suck really bad. Gave me a smile coming from someone who knows little about S8. I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't get me head far enough up my arse.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Facinating, but untrue.

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? but it is true. Google "godfather of grunge" and you'll find out why. And he is Canadian too. I had tickets to see Pearl Jam open for him back in 1992 but having good JW parents, I couldn't go.

Kwin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit