Did Being A Witness Make You Feel Better About Yourself?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

<-- born in

No, being a dub was quite possibly the single most soul crushing, self confidence destroying experience one could imagine. It's taken the last 13 years since I left to gain any level of self respect/confidence.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

Hell no.

• minimus
    minimus

I know some (losers) that live for the recognition they only can get in a Kingdom Hall.

Being proud that you're just a window washer says it all.

• chickpea
    chickpea

nope.... it was an endless diatribe
    about "doing more"

there was no way to ever be
    "doing enough" even though
    the topic of "balance" was
    often touted from the platform......

• shamus100
    shamus100

At first... yes.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Absolutely not. I lived in a constant state of fear and guilt. I didn't even really know myself when I was a JW, because too much of my perception was controlled by outside influences...

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

No but I only realised the extent of the "never good enough" feelings after coming out. And how that feeling has crept in to other areas of life.

It's a struggle at times but I'm feeling better every day.

Am

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Exactly Layla, I feel like being raised in created such social and emotional retardation that I had to start over upon leaving. It wasn't until I was out of the org and on my own that I was able to develope any level of self awareness and confidence. As it turns out, I'm actually pretty cool and a decent human beign despite the upbringing

• minimus
    minimus

Many of us who were born into it are now like little kids having freedom for the first time.

• Casper
    Casper

Yes it did, in the beginning...

Then the walls started closing in.

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit