Did Being A Witness Make You Feel Better About Yourself?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Some persons need to feel they are validated because they don't have much going for them otherwise. Being a part of Jehovah's Organization makes them feel special.

Being different from other religions makes them feel recognized,

When you were a Witness, did you actually feel better about yourself?

• minu
    minu

No, I had very low self esteem and was a very unhappy person. Now that I'm out, I have a better view of myself and I am very happy.

It's amazing what living life for yourself does for a person.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

No. I felt worse.

I guess when you're told how sinful, lowly, worthless, not-good-enough, you are nearly every day of your life (doubly so at the meetings) you tend to believe it.

I was brought up thinking I was scum.

• minimus
    minimus

I think most are either feeling "special" or totally depressed, knowing they can never measure up.

Being raised as a JW, I had a pretty good feel on how much I'd give of myself without turning into a wackjob. I guess I never was 100% gungho.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was ashamed to be a witness. The small functional part left of my brain knew full well that I was doing and pretending to believe some very weird stuff that I knew was total nonsense.

I was always deathly afraid that my normal non-witness friends would find out about this part of my life - I tried to keep it walled off from them as much as possible.

• golf2
    golf2

In the years of being a witness, I never really considered myself, it wasn't until I completed my book, the ABC's of Golf did I fully realize that I never paid attention to myself. In my book, I help the reader to learn to be themselves, and not be copy cats.

When the elders gave me the ax based on their personal opinion did I see the light and so did my wife. I had such a feeling of relief when they executed me because I spoke the truth. This experience was a blessing in disguise for me. In the long run, being a witness did not make me feel good. Each of us need to learn not to be so hard on ourselves.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Oh yeah I did. I came off a divorce with a very physically, mentally and emotionally abusive man who left me feeling empty and down on myself and the JWs gave me a ton of friends, a social life, a "cause" and it was something I was "good at" in that I was a studier, a researcher, a great answerer at all meetings, I did great talks...every G was like a kudos from God to me. I went out is service a lot and was a logical organized preacher and used my tools well. Yeah...it made me feel superior to everybody else including my family. It wasnt until my sister told me that as long as I was a JW I was no longer welcome in her home and cut me off from her and her children, that I really started to analyze what a religious SNOB I had become.

I know being MSs and Elders gave those otherwise plumbers, window washers and landscapers a sense of superiority and an opportunity for respect and admiration they probably otherwise wouldnt have gotten in their lives. Some of em realllllly abused the position.

• undercover
    undercover

I'm with these other guys...it caused low self esteem and shamefulness. I was embarrassed to be known as a JW.

• StAnn
    StAnn

No. Being a JW, constantly being told I wasn't doing enough, watching others delight in the impending death of my non-JW family and friends, just about drove me crazy. I feel much better about myself now that I know it was all lies! The JWs tried to make me feel that the problem (depression issues) was ME. Now I know the problem was the WTS.

StAnn

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

absolutely not. I had a horrible sense of "not good enough". I never felt like I was living up to my potential. How could I? We were always belittled and told we were supposed to do more, be more, give more. I was constantly in a fear of dread, that God was about to exercise judgement against me for my sins in some sort of illness or injury. I was told once that my back injury was an attack by satan on me to keep me from the hall. It was fear, always fear.

burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit