Just got my copy of "Crisis of Conscience"

by JimmyPage 27 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

After finishing "Combatting Cult Mind Control" I decided to move on to the next logical book. Thank you, amazon.com! I've read the first 100 pages of "Crisis of Conscience" and it's gone by really fast.

Now I know why this book is so important. Many of the things that I've learned on this board came straight from this book and that was not clear to me before. This forum owes a huge debt to Ray Franz. I'd go a step further and say also that because of his helping us to awaken from the WT spell that the quality of our very lives owes a huge debt to Ray.

From what I've seen on this board the Hassan book and "Crisis" are the "Big Two" to read for those recovering from being Jehovah's Witnesses. But I'm open to hear more opinions on this. Are these the "Big Two" for you? Or are there other books that are equally as important to you as these?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It was a good book (CoC) but I much preferred Combatting Cult Mind Control as CoC tends to go a bit too much into the technical details where I was more interested in how they ****ed up my socialization and self-esteem. I would still definitely say they are the big two. Psychology books in general are a big help as well though.

• gloobster
    gloobster

I am about 200 pages into Crisis of Conscience right now, and it's really starting to horrify me. I've always wondered what went on behind closed doors in the WTS, and I think I'm beginning to understand why they are closed.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but you have just convinced me to order Combatting Cult Mind Control.

• gloobster
    gloobster

There. I've ordered it. Yes I have.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

You won't regret it gloob :)

• hubert
    hubert

C of C is the best book to read if you feel any guilt about leaving the j.w. cult. Once you've read it, the guilt is gone.

I agree, these two books are the best.

There is another book called "Captives of a Concept" that proves the Watchtower is not the F and D, as they claim. It's by Don Cameron, he posts here also, and you can get it on line for 5 bucks at "Lulu.com". Well worth reading.

Hubert

• *summer*
    *summer*

Yes, C of C is a great book!

What I love most is Ray Franz's approach. He tells it like it is. No mud throwing, no apparent bitterness. Only facts. A real gentleman~

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Ray's other book, IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM is also a must read. Also, Jeff VanVonderen's book, THE SUBTLE POWER OF SPIRITUAL ABUSE is highly recommended!

Outaservice

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Now I am really anxious to read that book after what you said Jimmy an the others.

I ordered it 7 years ago, started to read it and then got to busy with my business and put it aside. My JW MOM came to visit and I hid it away. In January I finally was in contact with exJW's for the first time and heard that book was the best to help understand that the JW religion is not the truth. I looked high and low for that book and cannot find it. I hid it to well. I ordered it again from Amazon and just got it last week. I can hardly wait to read it. Just finishing off a library book first.

Velvet

• milliemootoo
    milliemootoo

I have only just heard about this book so I am going to order it too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit