Afraid of the end of the world?

by LearningMore 29 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I think it is worse for JWs, but it is a flaw of human nature encouraged by religion. About 50% of Americans apparently think the world is about to end.

It is an illogical fear. Humans only live for 80 years. All of us have to face our own little world ending in the not too distant future. I don't spend my time worrying about getting run over before my 80 years are up, nor should I worry that the world will or will not end in my life time and speeding up the inevitable. Life it too short to waste worrying.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

I'm not so scared of Armageddon anymore because I know my Hope4others and Caliber are going to die with me,its soo more reassuring when

your parents are going to be with you.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

Greensleeves I would not lie about such a thing

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

Ha!

Interesting situation.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

A family that Apostates Together Stays Together!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I come at this from a different perspective, where I was not raised in the JW faith but it was the focus on eschatology that made the religion attractive to me above all other factors.

You see, although I was considered to be "bright" in school, I was small and physically weak, socially clueless, naïve and emotionally immature. By the time I was in high school, especially towards the end, I had become very lonely, withdrawn, hateful, pessimistic and paranoid. I barely graduated. I became an obsessive fan of the heavy metal band Metallica and spent many hours listening to lead singer James Hetfield's growling and melancholy vocal melodies (with lyrics concerning such subject matter such as nuclear war, suicide, capital punishment, etc.) over furious, thrashing music. A sample of their lyrics, from the song Fight Fire with Fire (check it out on Youtube to get the full effect of the song, it is very intense):

Do unto others
    as they've done to you
    what, what, the hell is
    this world coming to?

Blow the universe
    into nothingness
    nuclear warfare
    shall lay us to rest!

Fight fire with fire
    Ending is near
    Fight fire with fire
    Bursting with fear

We all shall die!

[...]

Soon to fill our lungs
    the hot winds of death
    The gods are laughing
    so take your last breath

"Soon to fill our lungs, the hot winds of death" - that is brilliant stuff, and I deeply identified with such hopeless sentiments as this. But, Armageddon is not an acceptable subject in polite society, and I found that my extremely dark and pessimistic outlook on life met mostly with raised eyebrows and 'uh, yeah, well, it's been nice talking you!' reactions.

You can imagine how thrilled I was to have my pessimism seemingly legitimized when I came into contact with JW's and learned about their beliefs. I was on cloud 9, for a while anyways. But after 10 years of that, I realized that the the WTS is by-and-large a group of goofy old men that are making it up as they go along and who care about little except maintaining their imagined authority, and upon this realization I walked away and never looked back.

I do believe that humans have way overextended themselves population-wise, and that we are indeed 'ruining the earth'. I believe that the next 100 years could be a make-or-break period for the human family, and being naturally inclined towards pessimism, I'm not hopeful.

The idea of living forever on earth is incomprehensible to me, and I'm not sure that I ever really believed it. And I don't think that living forever is even the point of JWism. The point of JWism is not dying. Death is terrifying. I'm terrified of it. I hate that I will die. But I will. Everybody does. And circumstances could arise that could cause many of us to die in the same day or week or month or year, far above the normal rate. But what can I do? Last month a tornado blasted through an area in Western Iowa and caused several deaths at a Boy Scout jamboree. We survive on the idea that the universe is, on the whole, a benevolent place, but such events turn that notion on its ear. We are alone in an indifferent universe.

smile

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I felt like that in the early stages of leaving. It takes time to see through the BS you have been fed, but you will get there.

Paul

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think it is a terrible thing to be raised a witness and hearing all the doom and gloom every week. When you are young you want to live. When you get older in your 50's and up, you dont really worry about the end of the world anymore. You've seen heard and dealt with so much crap you say bring it, on the end of the world.

• runningonfaith
    runningonfaith

Fear of the end of the world is jw ' bread and butter.

last time an elder visited me to encourage me to go back he told me ,and i quote :"what if Armageddon comes?"

i think it depends as for myself,since i still believe in god and Jesus i think it will come when God decides.

many here don't believe it anymore and it works for them.

I'm personally trying to get to a point where i'm at peace with myself and the world to the best of my circumstances,that is all that i can control.

after that it's in God's hands....

peace out

• Twitch
    Twitch

Not afraid. Could end today for all I know. It's been a slice,....;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit