Is Pedophilia Really A Huge Problem With Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Others have spoken more eloquently than I (Burn, Lee, Flipper, etc.), but allow me to add:

The *occurence* of pedophilia may be no worse, but the *response* creates a huge problem. Denial, obstruction, hurdles placed in the path and harrasement of victims.

My mother's response when I told her I'd been abused: "I'm not surprised. Everyone knew he was a molester."

Yet "everyone" turned a blind eye to him.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My mother's response when I told her I'd been abused: "I'm not surprised. Everyone knew he was a molester."

Yet "everyone" turned a blind eye to him.

Omg!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Just wondering what accounts for the higher than average ratio of homosexuals in prison then? Are they more prone to criminal activity in the first place?

You are confusing opportuniistic sexual conduct with a sexual orientation.

• megs
    megs

Mickey, Although I don't have any statistics, I would take an educated guess and say that many who are engaging in homosexual acts in prison do not identify themselves as being gay, they are opportunistic. Again, that is a guess, perhaps there is a higher predominance of people who identify themselves as homosexual in prison.

• K.Matthews
    K.Matthews

I think the kingdom hall is filled with pedophiles. After all it's a safe haven, the people inside are naive and they protect them from the outside. We had a couple of elders forced to step down in my old hall because of being accused of this behavior but the older sisters knew of many many others that you shouldn't trust.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I think one of the issues is the absolute fear there is of being responsible for reproach on the organization. The core issue is that in practice the organization = God.

Thus reproach on the organization is reproach on God himself. That is quite a bind to be in when one is faced with the prospect of letting outsiders in on a big black eye issue for the org, even if it is on the local level. This dilemma probably makes it easy for elders to justify to themselves that the best course is to handle it internally...unfortunately this is both beyond their jurisdiction and beyond their abilities.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mickey Mouse

Just wondering what accounts for the higher than average ratio of homosexuals in prison then? Are they more prone to criminal activity in the first place?

Same gender sexual activity in situations like this has nothing to do with homosexuality. In a closed environment like prison sexual behavior is rarely consensual. It is about power control and heirarchy. Inevitably once these men leave prison they seek out opposite gender sexual partners.

As voideater said:

You are confusing opportuniistic sexual conduct with a sexual orientation
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

voideater

I'm sorry no one thought to protect you from a known sexual predator.

Pretty much the same happened in my family. They knew who the abusers were but never warned the children or kept him far away from the children.

Their silence resulted in over 100 people were sexually abused as children in just my mother's side of the family.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

M.J.

Thus reproach on the organization is reproach on God himself. That is quite a bind to be in when one is faced with the prospect of letting outsiders in on a big black eye issue for the org, even if it is on the local level. This dilemma probably makes it easy for elders to justify to themselves that the best course is to handle it internally...unfortunately this is both beyond their jurisdiction and beyond their abilities.

I thank you for this comment. I have struggled for years to find a way to describe this teaching and how it affects the JW from going outside the cong for help.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit